Pole wakes up after 19 years of coma to find communism gone

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 02:38 pm
Source

WARSAW (Reuters) - A 65-year-old railwayman who fell into a coma following an accident in communist Poland regained consciousness 19 years later to find democracy and a market economy, Polish media reported on Saturday.

Wheelchair-bound Jan Grzebski, whom doctors had given only two or three years to live following his 1988 accident, credited his caring wife Gertruda with his revival.

"It was Gertruda that saved me, and I'll never forget it," Grzebski told news channel TVN24.

"For 19 years Mrs Grzebska did the job of an experienced intensive care team, changing her comatose husband's position every hour to prevent bed-sore infections," Super Express reported Dr Boguslaw Poniatowski as saying.

"When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol queues were everywhere," Grzebski told TVN24, describing his recollections of the communist system's economic collapse.

"Now I see people on the streets with cell phones and there are so many goods in the shops it makes my head spin."

Grzebski awoke to find his four children had all married and produced 11 grandchildren during his years in hospital.

He said he vaguely recalled the family gatherings he was taken to while in a coma and his wife and children trying to communicate with him.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 845 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 02:47 pm
Jan Grzebski wrote:
"What amazes me today is all these people who walk around with their mobile phones and never stop moaning," said Mr Grzebski.

"I've got nothing to complain about."

Sigh, I hear that, even without having been in a coma. How quickly we get used to better life and resume complaining right away. In fact we complain far more, because we can. You don't go to jail for complaining anymore. But, such is humanity. I suppose that's normal.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 02:49 pm
Good story, Boss . . . a real Rip Van Winkle . . .
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 02:50 pm
http://i17.tinypic.com/4zty74o.jpg

Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 03:03 pm
old europe wrote:
http://i17.tinypic.com/4zty74o.jpg

Very Happy

that's what crosed my mind too. but this one is real, even! crazy.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 03:12 pm
Yes, crazy! Imagine you'd fall into a coma today, and wake up in 2026.........
0 Replies