unknow lilies growing like crazy

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:05 am
I have three lily plants that my children gave me for mothers day about three years ago. I planted them outside after they had bloomed. I now have these gigantic over three foot tall lilies that are beautiful but I don't have a clue what they are. Each stalk has 10 to 13 buds in a cluster at the top. Anyone have an idea of what they might be? Each plant is getting so huge that I'd like to do some transplanting. Will I kill the plants if I do and what is the best time to do this if it's ok? I am a novice gardener, but now that I'm retired I plan of really getting going with my surppressed passion for gardening.
Thanks for any help with this question.
dlilylover
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 451 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:55 am
Can you either post a picture here or point us to some place with a picture? It's very difficult to tell anything without more visual clues, thanks.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:25 am
Lilies
The lilies' height you describe seems to indicate they are oriental and asiatic lilies.

Oriental and Asiatic lilies:
http://www.dutchgardens.com/How-to-grow-lilies/default/5313.page

---BBB

Lilies are a versatile and beautiful addition to the perennial border. They provide a medium to tall backdrop for other flowers, multiply annually, and come in a vast array of colors. Most are winter hardy, and so far I have not had any pests or diseases troubling the lilies in my garden. Purchase high quality bulbs and select a well-drained site, and you're well on your way to enjoying years of no-fail bloom.

Lilies have much to recommend them to the gardener. There are early, mid, and late season varieties which will provide a constant display of beauty. Day lilies are excellent for preventing soil erosion. Some oriental lilies are so tall that they blend well with hollyhocks, delphinium, and foxglove at the back of the border. Asiatic lilies fill in the middle lavishly with their prolific bloom. Several varieties of lilies sport charming "freckles" on their flower faces. Above all, lilies are easy to care for. Basically, you just plant them and enjoy them-- no hassles!

Basic guidelines for planting and caring for lilies are as follows:

- Site them in well-drained soil

- Plant them no deeper than three times their diameter.

- After blooming is finished, let lily foliage turn brown and fall away before removing it from the garden. This returns strength to the bulb for next year's flowers.

- Divide lily clumps every 3 to 5 years.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 10:24 am
I love lilies. What color are the blooms? Do the plant stalks have leaves all the way up to the bloom cluster or do they spred out from the base of the plant?
0 Replies

dlilylover

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 10:09 am
unkonwn lilies
Thanks to all who responded.
First I don't know how to post a picture so that's out. But thanks anyway.
The stalks have leaves all the way up to and around the blossoms, to answer martybarker's question.
Thanks BumbeBeeBoogie for the insights into how to care for and when to divide the lilies.
My next quest will be to begin to figure out how to lay out the first part of a perennial garden starting from scratch in my back yard. I want an informal cottage type garden with lots of flowers, grasses, and herbs.
This should keep me busy for the next 20 years!
0 Replies