Inorganic Chem Grad School

thoh13

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 12:02 am
I'm not sure if this should be here or in the science forum but...
Time to apply to grad school draws near....

Can anyone suggest GOOD grad schools for inorganic chemistry?
So far I have UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, Northwestern, and MIT.

How about environmental chemistry?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 831 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 12:37 am
I suspect there are better places to look for this information on the internet than A2K. UC schools are well regarded generally, but I've no idea re specifics.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 12:48 am
But, excuse me, others may post more useful information.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 11:24 am
With over 700 posts you must realize that this is an "expert knowledge forum" in marketing parlance only. There are at best a handful of people on the Science forum that have a good understanding of science; in my humble opinion. The majority of respondents are at best "cut and paste cowboys" if they are providing any actual technical information at all; to which they then add interpretations that demonstrate their total lack of understanding of what they just pasted.

Need an example: take a look at most of the responses to the: "Who intuits that 10 is closer to infinity than 5?" question. Also look at the number of times that great repository of all scientific knowledgeÂ…"Wikipedia" is referenced, then compare that to the number of peer reviewed journal articles or textbooks that are referenced and I think you will get my drift. Probably NOT the best group for advice on a grad school choice.

Since I was somewhat involved in physical chemistry in a former life I will give you a starting point. But please don't take my word for it either, after all I could be one of those cowboys.

Here is one you may not have considered, with detailed info:

University of Illinois at Urbania-Champaign
Analytical 3rd overall
Inorganic 5th overall; second among public universities
Organic 7th overall; 2nd among public universities
Physical 7th overall; 2nd among public universities
Theoretical 10th overall; 3rd among public universities

Others you may want to look at.
Columbia
Cornell
Penn

It is often not the most noted that have good programs. William and Mary, for instance spends a very significant portion of their research grants on Environmental Chemistry, although I bet few would know that.

I don't expect this post to gain me any friends on this forum, but casual correspondence is one thing, this is too important a choice not to do REAL research on the subject. Or you COULD just look it up in Wikipedia Very Happy

Hope that helps.

PS to Osco: Love the dog photo!!!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 01:07 pm
Search around for lists like this. I know that more comprehensive lists exist...

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/phdsci/brief/che_brief.php

Also, get started on your application early -- make your statement of purpose good and show it to several different professionals to review. Apply to some safety schools too.
0 Replies

thoh13

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 02:45 pm
TheCorrectResponse:

I currently attend UofI and I know it's a great chem school, but they don't want us there for grad school...something about expanding our horizons

stuh505:

I have looked at lists like that. I was just wondering what people on here have to say.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 04:42 pm
One of my housemates and perpetual chemistry lab partner (Freshman Chemistry, Organic, Physical, Inorganic, Biochemistry, and Instrumental Analysis) chose his graduate chemistry school by the local fishing. He ended up at the University of Southern Illinois on a Peabody Coal Grant.

I went to Purdue and a degree in Chemical Engineering--looking back I think Tom had his priorities right. He ended up with the state champion Crappie.

Rap
0 Replies