Those wacky guinea-pigs

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:42 pm
Besides humans, guinea-pigs are the only other mammals who need vitamin C.

I always wonder...why guinea-pigs???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 615 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:24 pm
I'm no guinea pig expert, just bumping the topic up a bit.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:37 pm
MOST MAMMALS LIVERS CAN produce vitamin c. Humans and a few OTHERS CANNOT (i GUESS GUINEA PIGS ARE ON THE LOSING END LIKE US). tHE ENZYME IS SOMETHING LIKE L-GULONACETONE OXIDASE. (i HAVE TO LOOK IT UP SOMWHERE, I know Ive spelled it wrong ). The Vitamin C is essential to make norepinephrene from dopamine, besides preventing scurvy. Vit C is a gret antioxidant and Im really pissed that we cannot make the stuff and instead have to go out and buy these huuuge horse pills at CVS , where they sell TVs in the damn drug store,or we have to eat 30 oranges a day.

Somebody needs to go find a list ofall the animals that CANT produce their own Vitamin C, maybe we can intuit something intelligent from the grouping.

Google anyone?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:41 pm
farmerman wrote:
Somebody needs to go find a list ofall the animals that CANT produce their own Vitamin C, maybe we can intuit something intelligent from the grouping.

Google anyone?

Evolutionarily speaking, our closest relative is the guinea pig? Very Happy

(According to spellcheck, "evolutionarily" is not a word, but I like it.)
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:44 pm
There are times when I cannot resist to google...

Among the animals that have lost the ability to synthesise vitamin C are simians (higher primates), guinea pigs, the red-vented bulbul
http://www.virtual-bird.com/pictureoftheweek/uploaded_images/DSC_0844wsp.jpg
,and fruit-eating bats.

Most notably, along with the rest of the ape family in which we reside, humans have no capability to manufacture vitamin C. The cause of this phenomenon is that the last enzyme in the synthesis process, L-gulonolactone oxidase, cannot be made by the listed animals because the gene for this enzyme, Pseudogene ΨGULO, is defective. The mutation has not been lethal because vitamin C is prevalent in their food sources, with many of these species' natural diets consisting largely of fruit.

from wikipedia

huh, I never knew that...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 09:41 pm
I had no idea the red-vented bulbul couldn't produce its own vitamin C! How about the other 118 species of bulbuls? Are they OK?
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:21 pm
I have no idea about the rest of the bulbuls.
I didn't even know what a bulbul was til I looked!

Google?, anyone else?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 04:33 am
Bulbul is an East AFrican word meaning --"ka ka from sky"
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 07:58 am
Do humans, guinea pigs and bulbul's all have the same mutation? That seems rather odd.

I wonder if this is a case of "loss of functionality which isn't needed" (because the benefits can be found elsewhere). Like loss of pigmentation in cave creatures.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 08:23 am
caribou wrote:
Among the animals that have lost the ability to synthesise vitamin C are simians (higher primates), guinea pigs, the red-vented bulbul,and fruit-eating bats.

Most notably, along with the rest of the ape family in which we reside, humans have no capability to manufacture vitamin C.

Fruit-eating bats!

Humans and fruit-eating bats. Yes, I can see the connection.

I suddenly understand a lot more about myself.
0 Replies