How did you prepare yourself for the puppy?

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:12 am
Hi,

I am new to this forum, and need some help.

I have some questions regarding preparing for a new pup's arrival.
When your new pup was about to arrive or arrived, how did you go about the whole thing?

1. What equipment did you buy? Do you know of any techie tools that might be useful for pups?

2. Where in the house did you set up their kennel? Was it away in the lawn or somewhere inside the main house?

3. What books did you read?

Thanks,
Dogtrainer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 501 • Replies: 6
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:26 am
1. i bought nailclippers, chewtoys, ear medicine, leash, harness,shampoo, bed, vitamins and got a healthplan from the guys at petsmart, i forgot the company name but the've been great so far, except they like to add alot of uneccasary items to my bill when i used them for a dog not on a plan, like every other business usually does Smile

2.i dont like kennels so i cant say anything on them, other than how much i dislike them.

3.i read alot of books, i went to the library and checked out almost all of them, except breed specific ones. they all say the same things basically. dont hit your dogs or they won't trust you! was the main thing. and keep training sessions in the time limit of about 15 minutes whileusing a reward system, but dont give a treat every time otherwise they will just "expect" it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:41 am
Re: How did you prepare yourself for the puppy?
dogtrainer wrote:
Hi,

I am new to this forum, and need some help.

I have some questions regarding preparing for a new pup's arrival.
When your new pup was about to arrive or arrived, how did you go about the whole thing?

1. What equipment did you buy? Do you know of any techie tools that might be useful for pups?

Shampoo, brush, bowls, bedding, crate, leash, collar, puppy food, puppy treats, chew toys, nail clipper, toothbrush and toothpaste.

dogtrainer wrote:

2. Where in the house did you set up their kennel? Was it away in the lawn or somewhere inside the main house?

In our bedroom. It's best to start there for the first weeks because you will need to get up every 2 hours to let the puppy out to pee. Remember that this is a big change for your new pup and he/she will probably whine and cry some the first few nights. It often helps to have you nearby. If the dog begins to cry, take him out to use the bathroom. Then go back to bed. If he cries again and you know he doesn't have to go, stick your hand out close to the crate so he knows you are there.

After the dog becomes a little more established you can move the kennel anywhere you'd like.

dogtrainer wrote:

3. What books did you read?

Thanks,
Dogtrainer

I read a book about the breed I was getting. It's important to understand your breeds particular quirks. If you are getting a mutt (absolutely nothing wrong with that!), you can forgot the breed book and just get a general book about dogs.

Some basic rules (Ogionik hit on one)

- Never spank or hit your dog. It doesn't work to do anything but make them agressive or afraid of you.

- Don't rub his nose in his pee or poo if he goes in the house. The dog doesn't know why you are punishing him and associates the punishment with you seeing it. He will just pee or poop where you can't see it.

- Be consistant. Training a dog is time comsuming and tiring (especially with a smart and stubborn dog) but you have to be consistant.

- Don't use puppy pads for housebreaking. They often prolong the housebreaking process because the dog becomes confused. Why can I pee here but not behind the couch? Just take the dog out every 2-3 hours, walk him around on his leash with the command "go potty" until he goes. If after 15 minutes he doesn't go, take him back inside and wait 15-30 minutes and try again. If he goes in the house, pick him up (even mid pee) and carry him outside. Never ever strike your dog for going in the house. Don't allow free water through out the day and don't give water or food 2 hours before bedtime.

- Get yourself a crate. Dogs are den animals. They like the protection of one when they are scared or nervous and it gives them a place of their own. Young pups can become overwhelmed having the feeling that they need to guard the whole house instead of just having to guard their "den". It helps with house breaking because dogs won't go in their bed (unless they are still young and haven't developed their control yet, which is why you take them out every 2 hours). It is not mean. It is not cruel. What is mean and cruel is to yell at your dog every day until they are 2 because you come home to find your couch tore up, pillows destroyed, shoes missing and a puddle of pee in each corner of the living room. Or worse, the dog is dead or very ill because he got into something he shouldn't have.

On that note, only crate your dog for 4-5 hours at a time. No more. Make sure you aren't leaving him in there for stretches longer than that with out a potty and exercise break.

Ogionik also touched on pet insurance. I HIGHLY recommend it. We spent nearly $3000 in the first year of life with our puppy and had we had insurance that would have been probably half. It costs you about $250 a year and if your dog gets sick, is so worth it. But don't wait. If he gets sick before you get the insurance, that illness will not be covered when you do get insurance.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:54 am
nice advice on the house training, my dog pissed on my bed three time(the last time with ALL my freshly washed clothes on it) and i kicked her Sad

after that i noticed she wouldnt pee or poop when i was walking her.
definitely a mistake, as it meant the only time she would was when i wasn't around. just talking about it makes me sad Sad yeah definitely never hit your dog, youll always regret it. even once is too much.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 08:08 am
OGIONIK wrote:
nice advice on the house training, my dog pissed on my bed three time(the last time with ALL my freshly washed clothes on it) and i kicked her Sad

We went and got a waterproof mattress pad because we had a few accidents on the bed to. One time having to call the professionals in to clean your matteress is enough to make you think about spending $20 on a mattress pad. LOL
0 Replies

dogtrainer

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 03:56 am
Wow, awesome info, Bella Dea! You are a CPCT or what? Very Happy

Thanks OGIONIK!
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 07:15 pm
Did you get the dog yet? What breed?

DON'T KICK your dog. That's just nature's way of saying your an idiot who shouldn't own a dog, or in my opinion be allowed to live. I like to be around when someone abuses a dog. It gets ugly quick. If you knew me and saw me up close you wouldn't have to ask why. But hey, people abuse children so I guess you have to kind of expect it. Although putting up with it is another thing entirely!

While they are small you can grab them (gently) by the scruff of the neck, if you need to get their attention. Just to get them to make eye contact not for punishment. Your puppy will be frightened enough of you. You are Lots bigger. But I digress, on to happier things…PUPPIES!!!!

You will need rags and cleaning supplies, lots of cleaning supplies. I found that the product OUT SPOT is really great for getting out stains and smells. The breed book is also important. I had a Cocker and then went to a Beagle. Both intelligent, scent dogs but very different just the same. A crate is a MUST.

Some other info:

Crating a puppy is the only way to go for a ton of reasons, good ones already mentioned. I agree with the bedroom placement and comments.

Although general wisdom is not to use it to punish your dog, as the puppy gets older, 5 or 6 months or so I find it useful. Just don't make it a scary place, they should always feel it's a safe place to sit and figure out what went wrong.

If the puppy is bad make them spend a short time in the cage with the door closed. You can yell just a bit as you put them in, and then leave them alone. 5 minutes is plenty or a little longer if you need to cool off. Then welcome them warmly back into the pack…all is forgiven. The reason I find this useful is after they are used to the enforced quiet time if the puppy does something bad that you didn't notice they will often send themselves to the cage and look real guilty. You can then look for wet spots on the carpet, upturned plants, etc.

It also helps you to figure out what your puppy is learning not to do and leaves you free to emphasize what the puppy still doesn't seem to know as wrong.

Lastly remember your puppy will be spending most of its time making mistakes, the younger the puppy the more mistakes. Unfortunately there will be at least one animal in the house making even more mistakes, you!!! Just a reminder you are the one with the (supposedly) higher IQ and opposable thumbs. Its all on you baby!

PS Best age is 8-12 weeks. NEVER take a dog that is under seven weeks or has not been with the bitch for the first 6-7 weeks of its life or it will probably never properly socialize, especially with other dogs.

Hope This Helps.
0 Replies