anyone have experience with pitbulls? meeting strange dogs q

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 06:21 am
I have had my pit for about a year, and i absolutely love her!
shes energetic(not like russell terriers, ugh so annoying!)
she obedient, but not a completely submissive reject
she learns fast, but she also learns a little too fast, always sneaking into things etc..

Is there any tips or advice i should know? i read alot of books, but i know they dont cover everything. One thing i have trouble with is walking her, she takes the lead , i dont mind but i let her know im the one really in charge, but i like her having freedom on her time, but anytime there is another dog around is when i have trouble,(i used some advice from some books, but it hasnt made any improvement on her listening) i want to be able to walk her without the leash ( not that i would i just want to know she will listen to me just in case)

how can i get her to listen to me with other dogs around? pits arent necessarily the best at dog to dog relations hehe. i want to train her with another dog she doesnt know, but i know pitbulls are notorious at being aggressive towards animals..

Any advice on how to train her without risking another dogs safety? or should i just introduce her to another friends dog and she if she gets aggressive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 716 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:03 am
Hi Ogionik - have you watched any of the Dog Whisperer programs? I really recommend his book and videos - they've really helped with one of my dogs who has fear aggression. I'd done training courses with her, and have taken her to boot camp, but following the Dog Whisperer's directions have really made the most difference in her behaviour around other dogs.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:36 am
I would think signing up for a dog obedience class would help. Classes would be with other dogs - I would just make sure the instructor knows ahead of time the current issues you have with your dog.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:44 am
yikes! it never even occurred to me that someone with an Am Staff wouldn't have already gone through obedience courses. Confused

Good catch, Linkat.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 12:02 pm
Unfortunately Pit Bulls are very concerned with dominance; they have very high pain thresholds--and they enjoy fighting.

Obedience training can help enormously. You want the dog to know you are the Alpha Wolf and you give the orders.

Even after obedience training, I'd be leery of walking her off the leash. Pit Bulls are not designed to resist temptation and every other dog on the face of the earth is tempting.

I've been through the mill. My little Canine Terror is thirteen years old and her love for combat is occasional greater than her desire for my approval.
0 Replies