I never read them

Roberta

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:41 am
malek wrote:
Roberta wrote:

And what's a fundy wicker?

A fundy wicker is a type of witch who happens to be born on the day after faturday.

Filly you. (lol)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:08 am
I was teasing dys, Roberta, and Setanta knows exactly what a fundy wicker is. Razz malek is correct, too, 'cause I am a witch.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:14 pm
Many words bad.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:19 pm
Which ones?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:29 pm
Zucchini....Pediatrist....Jaundice....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:00 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
Zucchini....Pediatrist....Jaundice....

Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:18 pm
You know - regarding the OT -

I have the opposite.

Way I see it is, I come here to find out stuff. To learn.

I mean, I spent most of my time here on Politics and News. What do you find there? 80% of the posts are one- or two-paragraph affairs in which the poster just says what he thinks.

Usually what he thinks is that the Dems are idiots, or that Bush is a criminal, or vice versa. Often it comes down to, roughly translated, "bullshit!", "what an idjut!", "someone should do something about this!", "yeah, you show 'em!".

But way I see it - as someone once angrily told me here - opinions are like arse holes. Everyone's got one.

I want you to tell me something I dont know yet. Information that I wouldnt have come across myself, or that I wouldnt have looked up because its outside my field. Or speaking from a certain expertise that I dont have. Like, say, Farmerman on that geological/natural and technical stuff. Dlowan when she writes about psychological/therapeutical stuff.

I mean, its not a chatroom. Its a knowledge exchange site.

Most of the time - unless there's been, for example, an election debate and I'm curious about how it went down with the vox populi - I dont want just another random opinion that you can get from any person walking down the street. Unless its elaborated into a proper argument. But then you get long posts.

As for copy/pastes? Well, I think BBB goes overboard sometimes. And I do prefer it if it comes accompanied with a personal interpretation / perspective on it. Try to do that myself, but only make it about half the time.

But I also come here to see if there's any interesting news stories or analyses that I hadnt picked up on myself. So I'm grateful if people turn out to have posted some.

Basically, there's loads of posters roaming the Politics board just making throwaway comments. My reaction is the opposite: it's, oh come on, sit down, concentrate, and write something proper. Do some research. Make an effort. Like Sozobe does, for example. So you can teach me something. Then I'll sit down and take the time to read, too.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:22 pm
And yes, I do realise the irony about how that was a really long post offering nothing but another random throwaway opinion Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:23 pm
No, the thing that really freaks me out is when someone just makes post after post by himself. Three, four, five in a row. Just talking to himself. Now thats creepy.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 06:57 pm
Oh. Did you say something, nimh?

Very Happy

I do get your point. But many times, at least the ones I'm thinking of, it's just a very very long paste job. I think someone suggested here that it would be preferable if the poster pasted a few salient paragraphs and a line or two of his/her interest in it, and provide the link for those who want more in depth information.

I believe that's the best way to lively discussions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:18 pm
Au contraire, it is a chat site as well as an information site, info site primary. One oils the other, greases the wheels. This may or may not promote civility in general, and a sense of community past present adamant stances.

You post personally too, nimh, so what is with the eschewing?

Back when I used to post the results of my fine combing through a lot of architecture and land use articles all in one thread, I would end up near exhausted from all the reading, oh, say, two hours, and then the typing acrobatics required for posting, especially with photos and all appropriate links, sometimes a lot more time..

I found people get engaged or shut out, their choice, one issue at a time.
I've long been wary of quoting a whole article, especially if people pay to access it.

Well, my point is, that after some effort, one is hard pressed, unless being you, to give a coherent analysis of the article at the time of posting. Easy for some who are knowledgeable about the circumstances in the article, or adept at analyses of the type of article.

Some of us might want to throw it out there and see if it catches fish. And, having caught a breath, come back and cogitate in a post.

Personally, my opinions form and reform. I don't want to give some protodefinitive statement to start - usually - unless as a target to agree or disagree with.

Now, on whose long cut and pastes I'd read, nimh's are right up there at the top.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:53 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Au contraire, it is a chat site as well as an information site, info site primary. One oils the other, greases the wheels.

Uhm, if I may kibble with this.. no, wait, thats not the word.. nibble? uhm, no, thats definitely not it. Err, well, you know..

We may, in practice, be using this as a chat site, for better or for worse. But thats not what it presents itself as; not what it states itself to be. You go to the front/homepage, and it says, simply and quite straightforwardly:

Able2Know
Ask an Expert
Free Knowledge Exchange

Not much doubt there about the "mission statement", so to say..

The chat, I gather, is more of an indulgence we're being granted...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 07:58 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Well, my point is, that after some effort, one is hard pressed, unless being you, to give a coherent analysis of the article at the time of posting. [..] Some of us might want to throw it out there and see if it catches fish. And, having caught a breath, come back and cogitate in a post.

Oh, I do that too.. like I said, I try to not just copy/paste something but to give some kind of perspective, summary, interpretation or whatever, even if its just a sentence or two.. but oh, at least half the time I dont...

but then I'm not one of the anti-copy/pastes here anyhow :wink:

ossobuco wrote:
Now, on whose long cut and pastes I'd read, nimh's are right up there at the top.

I'm flattered. <nods>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:57 pm
nimh wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Au contraire, it is a chat site as well as an information site, info site primary. One oils the other, greases the wheels.

Uhm, if I may kibble with this.. no, wait, thats not the word.. nibble? uhm, no, thats definitely not it. Err, well, you know..

We may, in practice, be using this as a chat site, for better or for worse. But thats not what it presents itself as; not what it states itself to be. You go to the front/homepage, and it says, simply and quite straightforwardly:

Able2Know
Ask an Expert
Free Knowledge Exchange

Not much doubt there about the "mission statement", so to say..

The chat, I gather, is more of an indulgence we're being granted...

Quibble.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:59 pm
Damn rabbit is so quick!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 02:11 am
dadpad wrote:
Damn rabbit is so quick!

i like to nibble and quibble on kibble...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 05:13 am
Quibble!

Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:01 am
Spittle... the fiddle.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:17 pm
Some people want simple answers.

Some people want answers with dimensions.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:33 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Some people want simple answers.

Some people want answers with dimensions.

like with a 2 by 4? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I never read them
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:22:31