Nurse Goes Wild!

Miller

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 06:51 am
27 May 2007
NHF OFF
Nurse quits over rant at distressed heart patient
Exclusive by Jon Kirk

A NURSE has quit in shame after launching a four-letter rant at a patient who had suffered a suspected heart attack.

Mark Wright, 39, was stunned by a barrage of abuse when he handed her a form complaining about poor treatment and a dirty ward.

The nurse told him: "You've got no f***ing right talking like that, no f***ing right to be complaining."

Dad-of-one Mark said: "She just started screaming at me, effing and blinding.

"She said she was going to retire in a few days and the complaint would affect her pension.

"It was in front of all the other patients. I was gobsmacked. Eventually the ward sister had to ask her to leave."

Hospital chiefs gave Mark a written apology and told the nurse she was guilty of gross misconduct. She then resigned.

Transport manager Mark was left on a trolley after being admitted to the General Hospital in his home town of Weston-super-Mare, with severe chest pains.

"I was in agony and scared I was having a heart attack," said Mark. "I wet myself, probably due to nerves, and the nurse didn't change me for two hours even after my wife asked her. It was very uncomfortable."

Next day distressed Mark completed a complaint form and gave details of ward conditions.

He said: "The stench was unbearable. The ward stank of urine and there was grime all over the floors and window sills.

"When my little boy came to visit me he was sick because of the stench. That's how bad it was."

The unnamed nurse, thought to be in her 50s, erupted when she read the form.

Mark's wife Rebecca, 40, said: "The treatment he received was atrocious and it gets me angry just thinking about it."

Deputy nursing director Deborah Thompson wrote to Mark: "In my career as a nurse I have never experienced behaviour like this and I am very sorry that you had to.

"I pointed out that her behaviour was extremely uncaring and constituted gross misconduct."

A spokesman for Weston Area Health Trust added: "There was an incident on a ward when a member of the nursing staff made unacceptable comments.

"All the patients who witnessed the incident, including Mr Wright, received verbal and written apologies on behalf of the trust."

Tests revealed Mark's chest pains were brought on by stress not heart trouble. He has taken a less pressured job with his firm.

people.co.uk
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 760 • Replies: 9
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:12 am
Akthough that particular nurse's conduct was unacceptable, many UK NHS patients seem to think they are in a private hotel, and treat the staff like servants. I am a health worker, and I have met some really obnoxious patients.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:44 am
During two separate hospital stays, I had two separate RN's break down in tears in my room because they were stretched too thin; forced to cover too many patients and supervise too many staff.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 01:53 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
During two separate hospital stays, I had two separate RN's break down in tears in my room because they were stretched too thin; forced to cover too many patients and supervise too many staff.

This is common in many hospitals where the RNs haven't unionized.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:07 pm
The nursing shortage is dire, and it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Here, if a person wants to get into nursing school, there's a year and a half waiting list. Of course you can get your prerequisists out of the way, but obviously a lot of people are going to find something else rewarding as employment waiting that long.

There are not enough instructors, which one reason why the wait is so long. The average age of an RN, not sure in Texas or nationwide, is in their 50's I believe. This means soon a huge amount of people are going to be retiring soon, further cutting down on the number of instructors, and nurses in the community.

I've heard talk of certifying aides to administer meds, under the supervision of an RN. This is a really bad idea in my opinion, but, with the population aging, the system is going to be flooded with patients. Certified or not, a medication aide is not going to be able to access a patient.

Union/non union aside, there just aren't enough RN's out there.

Throwing money at the problem is going to have no immediate effect, it's going to take years.

I have no idea how we're going to cope, as clinical expertise in very technological aspects are increasing, demanding well trained people
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:13 pm
Aside from the ranting nurse the hospital based upon the article was a pig sty. That is unacceptable, there is even in the cleanest and well kept hospital there is a chance of contacting an infection The conditions described just increases possibility.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:21 pm
Chai wrote:
The nursing shortage is dire, and it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Here, if a person wants to get into nursing school, there's a year and a half waiting list. Of course you can get your prerequisists out of the way, but obviously a lot of people are going to find something else rewarding as employment waiting that long.

There are not enough instructors, which one reason why the wait is so long. The average age of an RN, not sure in Texas or nationwide, is in their 50's I believe. This means soon a huge amount of people are going to be retiring soon, further cutting down on the number of instructors, and nurses in the community.

I've heard talk of certifying aides to administer meds, under the supervision of an RN. This is a really bad idea in my opinion, but, with the population aging, the system is going to be flooded with patients. Certified or not, a medication aide is not going to be able to access a patient.

Throwing money at the problem is going to have no immediate effect, it's going to take years.

I have no idea how we're going to cope, as clinical expertise in very technological aspects are increasing, demanding well trained people

Big raises for oncology nurses in Boston:

Dana-Farber nurses approve lucrative new contract

April 19, 2007

BOSTON --Nurses at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have approved a new contract that makes them the highest paid nurses in New England, and among the highest paid in the country, union officials say.

The three-year contract ratified on Tuesday after only about five weeks of negotiations gives the hospital's 225 nurses pay raises of between 9 percent and 23 percent, depending on seniority and area of specialty.

Under the contract, full-time nurses with 15 years of experience will make $67.78 an hour by 2009, which is about $141,000 per year.

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement that recognizes the value of registered nurses and the vital role we play in delivering first-rate care to the patients at Dana-Farber," said Kathleen McDermott, a Dana-Farber nurse and chair of union's bargaining unit.

Dana-Farber administrators also welcomed the new contract.

"We value our nurses, their skill, and the high quality of care they provide our patients and their families," said Patricia Reid Ponte, senior vice president for patient care services.

The new contract also preserves the union rights of charge nurses, who according to a National Labor Relations Board ruling, are supervisors and therefore ineligible for union membership.

Dana-Farber, which provides care to cancer patients and conducts cancer research, is in the midst of a $1 billion fundraising drive.

Boston Globe
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:27 pm
au1929 wrote:
Aside from the ranting nurse the hospital based upon the article was a pig sty. That is unacceptable, there is even in the cleanest and well kept hospital there is a chance of contacting an infection The conditions described just increases possibility.

The complainer said it was dirty. When were you last in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, England? I was born 20 miles away, and I was in that very hospital 6 months ago having day surgery. It looked OK to me then.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:39 pm
contrex
Never, in fact have never been to England. Just commenting on what was written and I said as much..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 04:21 pm
Miller wrote:
Chai wrote:

Big raises for oncology nurses in Boston:

Dana-Farber nurses approve lucrative new contract

April 19, 2007

BOSTON --Nurses at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have approved a new contract that makes them the highest paid nurses in New England, and among the highest paid in the country, union officials say.

The three-year contract ratified on Tuesday after only about five weeks of negotiations gives the hospital's 225 nurses pay raises of between 9 percent and 23 percent, depending on seniority and area of specialty.

Under the contract, full-time nurses with 15 years of experience will make $67.78 an hour by 2009, which is about $141,000 per year.

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement that recognizes the value of registered nurses and the vital role we play in delivering first-rate care to the patients at Dana-Farber," said Kathleen McDermott, a Dana-Farber nurse and chair of union's bargaining unit.

Dana-Farber administrators also welcomed the new contract.

"We value our nurses, their skill, and the high quality of care they provide our patients and their families," said Patricia Reid Ponte, senior vice president for patient care services.

The new contract also preserves the union rights of charge nurses, who according to a National Labor Relations Board ruling, are supervisors and therefore ineligible for union membership.

Dana-Farber, which provides care to cancer patients and conducts cancer research, is in the midst of a $1 billion fundraising drive.

Boston Globe

What does this have to do with a nursing shortage?

I know how much RN's make. What is your opinion on a solution?

Paying someone $67 an hour will not produce RN's this year, or the next, or even the next. How are we to obtain good instructors if we are are lacking clinical personnel in the first place? People who do instruct are nearing retirement age.

In addition, not all nurses work in hospitals.

Your post is in no way germaine to my statement of the problem.

We could offer $250 an hour to a nurse, but if there are none available, it's a moot point. Right now I could use 3 acute RNs and 4 more in a chronic setting. Even with $10,000 sign on bonus, there are no takers.

Addressing the initial story...I don't have any way of knowing what the person in question is like, but I will say this, and although it's not very pleasant, it's the absolute truth.

I have worked with RN's over 27 years. Many are professional, caring and are what the general public perceive that a nurse should be. There are however, more than a few total wackos, that have no common sense, and the bedside manner of attila the hun.

Stressed? Yes. Overworked? Definitely. That's not much of an excuse though when you're the patient on the receiving end of their wrath.

Now, as I said, most nurses are truly caring, and are humans with emotions. However, I wouldn't stand for a nurse cursing me either, and would have made the same complaint, and taken action against the hospital for sub standard conditions.
0 Replies