Google - Maps

gollum

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:01 am
When I use Google/maps and narrow in on the image of the address I am querying, I sometimes get pointed to a location in the middle of a street.

Does this mean that the address I queried does not exist? If I were to query a non-existent address, by the rules of Google/maps what response am I supposed to receive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 987 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:26 am
Type in an existing and non-existing address and compare the results.

Google maps does not claim to-the-metre accuracy. Geographical information about addresses, buildings etc, does not always match up to map data accurately. Google is making no claims about the existence or otherwise of addresses. How could they? They just process data supplied to them and present it.

I just typed in my own address and the map shows a pointer indicating the middle of the street just like you described.

In my street house numbers stop at 54. I typed in 406, My street, My town, UK, and got a pointer halfway up the road which bore a message saying "Placement on map is approximate". My (real) address did not have such a message.

THis suggests that Google is using British Post Office address coding information, and if a house number exceeds the highest number shown, it just gueses and adds the message I described.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:22 am
The data Google maps works from includes the lat/long of the ends of a
street segment (block) and the address range for that block. It uses this
to extrapolate the location of an address within that range.
0 Replies