Hey, baby, what's your deadly sin?

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:45 pm
i didn't, soz. I have actually went to a counselor today, for the first time in my life. I have learned that I am an exemplary perfectionist. She said it's normal for us perfectionists to get royally stuck when it comes to things like dissertation, or a book or such. I am forbidden to work on/ or think about my thesis this week. She gave me an official break from it. (I told her I had a break for the last three years, but she disagreed. She said it's always looming over my head anyway. Hence the official vacation from it). I'll be working with her, learning how to accept a 'good enough' writing process. Somesuch. I'm glad I went. It makes sense, when I look back at my life. I have to do everything 'all the way' or not at all. Must learn the middle way somehow. Not sure how, but then again, I only saw her once.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:51 pm
I can give you the complete rundown if you want. When it comes to your approach to work you remind me a LOT of E.G., and I've been through these wars several times over. (It's also not dissimilar from how I was in college, but my work-work broke me of that -- no time for perfection, with real and immediate effects if I didn't just ACT already and do the best I could in the time alotted.)

A complete break for a week sounds good.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:55 pm
so far it's not very successful. i've been thinking about the thesis every five minutes... but i decided to fully trust her and go along with the program. it gives me hope, since once you know the 'diagnosis', you can find approaches to tackle it. although, she did ask me what would happen if my thesis wasn't as good as i hoped for at the beginning. my first thought was 'i would surely die!'. i can't truthfully imagine it, as it's just not possible in my head. she said no wonder it's daunting... Confused
oh well, she seems to have a lot of experience with people like me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:38 pm
Dag - Why did you decide to go to the counselor?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:40 pm
umm, because i wasn't able to write a single word of the thesis for some two years now.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:41 pm
That'd do it!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:45 pm
yep. plus i'm always late, never start writing any assignment on time, procrastinate for days in a row often... she explained to me why perfectionists do it and we'll be working on it....somehow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:48 pm
You mean it's not just human nature? Hmmm....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:49 pm
well, all people procrastinate to some extent. but i just pulled off two weeks of no work. None. Nada. Can you imagine it? That's 14 entirely wasted days. THAT is not normal
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:50 pm
That's a good point.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:51 pm
...not to mention anxiety, nightmares, stress and the physical effects it has on me... i decided i just about had it with myself and decided to do something..... and here i am.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:55 pm
Yikes! It's funny, maybe I haven't known you long enough to realize that isn't your normal state. Or maybe it has been.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:56 pm
well, what's a normal state? maybe it is my normal state, but i don't want it to be.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 05:06 pm
Right. Every person I know who has done therapy of any sort has said they wish they'd done it sooner.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:21 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i didn't, soz. I have actually went to a counselor today, for the first time in my life. I have learned that I am an exemplary perfectionist. She said it's normal for us perfectionists to get royally stuck when it comes to things like dissertation, or a book or such. I am forbidden to work on/ or think about my thesis this week. She gave me an official break from it. (I told her I had a break for the last three years, but she disagreed. She said it's always looming over my head anyway. Hence the official vacation from it). I'll be working with her, learning how to accept a 'good enough' writing process. Somesuch. I'm glad I went. It makes sense, when I look back at my life. I have to do everything 'all the way' or not at all. Must learn the middle way somehow. Not sure how, but then again, I only saw her once.

I've got the same sort of problem -- though am probably far less likely to ever approach perfection. Deadlines have always done it for me. Five hours to deadline, time to write ten pages on whatever.

At which point, of course, the ten pages are complete rubbish.

At any rate, I'm finding now that I don't have the leisure. Everything I do has a deadline of ten minutes ago, so I perform a mental triage of what needs to be done, get it done, and move on.

It's very liberating, but it's not the sort of discipline I could ever manufacture for myself. External imposition is the only way. (And so, I suppose, ceding control over such things to a counselor/therapist/whatever might be just the thing to get past that hurdle and develop new work habits.) Still, though, the things that I still have the power to procrastinate over get put off even worse than ever.

Damn it, I need an assistant for about 4 hours a week to do all the menial wheels that aren't quite loud enough to merit grease.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:24 pm
yes, i am alright at work where i have to get things done, too. but when it's something bigger, and i am the boss, and there is no deadline, that is truly a nightmare for me. i need structure, bosses, deadlines, etc. Otherwise I would either work on one thing ad nauseum, or on nothing at all.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:24 pm
And why did Jimmy Carter -- or anyone else -- say that he had lust in his heart? My lust is some distance from my heart.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:47 pm
That's right. He should have said: "I have lust in my heart... well, close to it anyway. Lower...lower, yep, there it is!"
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 06:52 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Lower...lower, yep, there it is!"

Cool Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:50 am
Quote:
Damn it, I need an assistant for about 4 hours a week to do all the menial wheels that aren't quite loud enough to merit grease.

Patiodog--

You need an old-fashioned helpmeet and wife.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:34:22