Aggression or Peace/ Which was Better for A2K?

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 05:26 am
I have been a part of A2K just about since its inception, in September 2002. In that time, I have watched the site blossom and grow. Now I find it becoming quieter and quieter. I last posted yesterday afternoon. In earlier years, I would have expected to find about 1,200 new posts when I signed on this morning. Today, the new post count was less than 400.

Over the years, I have perceived a trend. From time to time, a member would join the site who was aggressive and controversial....................usually writing in either the political or religious forums. Although often perceived as annoying, these members were catalysts that energized the site. Other members would jump in and attempt to prove that the aggressive member was full of hot air.

This vigor would expand throughout the entire site, and many members would make sure to get their 2 Cents in. While they were attempting to discount the ravings of the aggressive member, new threads would develop. The energy was palpable.

Now, I am finding things rather peaceful..........................and boring. I find that I am spending less and less time on the site. I find less and less of interest.

Just musing about this, I was thinking about people in general. Apparently, whether on A2K, or life in general, IMO, for a website, or a society to retain its vitality, there needs to be a cause...............something that will get peoples' hackles up, so that they become interested in what is going on around them. I think that people need to feel passionately about SOMETHING, have a keen interest in an idea or a cause.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,031 • Replies: 122
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 05:55 am
Eventually there will be a slew of books on The Ecology of Internet Forums and the value of the articulate, outrageous troll in the great scheme of things. Dissent is yeast.

You and I are of a generation. I know I'm prone to attacks of galloping Ecclesiastes: "There is nothing new under the sun. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity."

The King James version of Ecclesiastes is particularly melancholy:

http://www.bartleby.com/108/21/1.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 06:02 am
Quote:
Eventually there will be a slew of books on The Ecology of Internet Forums and the value of the articulate, outrageous troll in the great scheme of things. Dissent is yeast.

Noddy- I envy you. You can say something in one sentence that it takes me a paragraph to explain. I think that you are wonderful! Very Happy
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 06:59 am
BBB
I envy both of you.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:40 am
I never liked Phoenix.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:41 am
dyslexia wrote:
I never liked Phoenix.

I never cared much for dyslexia either! :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:42 am
Phoenix, the same question (or a variant of it) comes up each North American spring.

People are getting oot and aboot again - not wrapped in their bundles of polar fleece - less time for A2K.

Happens like clockwork - or seasonal EarthTurns.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:47 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
I never liked Phoenix.

I never cared much for dyslexia either! :wink:

Only short people with blue hair use smiley faces. ( a wink is as good as a nod to a blind man)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:48 am
relax phoenix, we have an election coming up and there will be **** smeared everywhwere. Sharpen your pencil baby. :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:54 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
relax phoenix, we have an election coming up and there will be **** smeared everywhwere. Sharpen your pencil baby. :wink:
another smiley face, what a dork!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:59 am
that'a a winky face buddy here's a "me shitting in a bag and throwing it on your porch" emoticon.... take that Hopalong... Mad
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:03 am
Emoticons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:04 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
that'a a winky face buddy here's a "me shitting in a bag and throwing it on your porch" emoticon.... take that Hopalong... Mad
kiss my go-to-hell snakedancer!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:06 am
okay for you buddy... it's the corral at high noon... my weapon of choice.... Japanese fighting emoticons....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:08 am
BBB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Duchenne-FacialExpressions.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:09 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
okay for you buddy... it's the corral at high noon... my weapon of choice.... Japanese fighting emoticons....
tattoo you!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:15 am
That's so sweet... You two pickin' a fight with each other to add to the excitment of A2K and make Phoenix feel better. Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:17 am
squinney wrote:
That's so sweet... You two pickin' a fight with each other to add to the excitment of A2K and make Phoenix feel better. Laughing
Bear is a closet podiatrist.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:17 am
squinney wrote:

squinney- Those two dorks gave me my best laugh of the morning. Thanks, you two adorable characters. I needed the laugh!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:18 am
dyslexia wrote:
squinney wrote:
Bear is a closet podiatrist.

dys on the other hand just remains in the closet....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Aggression or Peace/ Which was Better for A2K?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:00:32