Turkey poop, Renewable energy. Really.

dadpad

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 01:36 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
dadpad wrote:
missed posting the link unintentionally O'Bill.
No biggie... I just hate reading someone's response, only to learn it isn't really theirs.

dadpad wrote:
Quote:
Not one American has ever died from the nuclear power process, despite the fact that 20% of our power already comes from this source.

America prefer to concentrate on killing people of other races/countries.

Out of sight out of mind.

This attitude seems to apply to energy consumption as well.
WTF does that idiotic BS have to do with an energy thread? Whimper about our foreign policy elsewhere, please.

Its not about politics its about greed.
I'm trying to get you to look at the issue from a global perspective not just your own.
Exxon valdez, Bopal, others? A direct result of rampant consumerism, greed and the persuit of profits.
MORE MORE MORE.
You seek to continue this.

reduce re-use recycle.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 01:57 am
ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL:

Serious Contamination

On June 6, 1989, 70 federal agents raided the Rocky Flats nuclear weapons facility in Colorado. The decision to invade the bomb plant came on the heels of a lengthy investigation described in FBI agent Jon S. Lipsky's 116-page affidavit, which convinced a federal judge to unleash the agents. In his report, Lipsky accused Rockwell International and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) of "knowingly and falsely" stating that the plutonium- processing plant complied with federal environmental laws. In doing so, the contractor and its government client concealed "serious contamination" at the site. Lipsky charged that Rockwell and DOE secretly dumped hazardous waste into public drinking water and surreptitiously operated an incinerator they said had been shut down.
The subcommittee also reported that on March 7, 1985, the Governor of the State of Washington toured the Hanford reservation in Richland, Washington. Just prior to the arrival of the Governor's party near a site contaminated with radiation, and on direct orders from Rockwell Hanford Operations management, signs which warned of the radiation hazard were removed.

VELSICOL:

Deadly Double Standard

No chemical company its size has as dirty a record as the Velsicol Chemical Co. of Tennessee. Velsicol is the world's only producer of the pesticides chlordane and heptachlor, two pesticides banned in the United States because they are considered probable human carcinogens. Yet, according to a report by the environmental group Greenpeace, over the last two years Velsicol has exported approximately 5 million pounds of the chemicals to at least 25 countries.

Waste Management Inc is the largest publicly held waste disposal corporation in the United States. In March of 1989, California Waste Management, a subsidiary, pleaded no contest in the largest criminal antitrust case in California history, paying a record $1 million fine. Waste Management of Florida pleaded no contest to price fixing in Florida's Dade and Broward counties and was slapped with a $1 million federal fine in January 1988. Waste Management also pleaded guilty in October 1987 to conspiring to fix prices in the Toledo, Ohio area with Browning- Ferris Industries. And in May 1989, the U.S. EPA fined Chemical Waste Management, a WMI subsidiary, a record $4.5 million for improperly burning PCBs at a Chicago incinerator.
http://multinationalmonitor.org/hyper/issues/1989/12/mokhiber.html

So lets have a few more nuclear power stations they're as safe as a house no worries about that. So what if it screws up the Australian environment getting it out of the ground who gives a **** about them.
Take a look at the waste happening around you O'bill, the flashing lights, office building lights on a night, single occupancy vehicals on the way to or from somewhere, The great lakes so contaminated you cant swim in them.
And its not just you O'bill its the all pervading American culture of greed is good that is doing the damage.

Reduce re-use, recycle.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 02:24 am
Bill
dadpad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
dadpad wrote:
missed posting the link unintentionally O'Bill.
No biggie... I just hate reading someone's response, only to learn it isn't really theirs.

dadpad wrote:
Quote:
Not one American has ever died from the nuclear power process, despite the fact that 20% of our power already comes from this source.

America prefer to concentrate on killing people of other races/countries.

Out of sight out of mind.

This attitude seems to apply to energy consumption as well.
WTF does that idiotic BS have to do with an energy thread? Whimper about our foreign policy elsewhere, please.

Its not about politics its about greed.
I'm trying to get you to look at the issue from a global perspective not just your own.
Exxon valdez, Bopal, others? A direct result of rampant consumerism, greed and the persuit of profits.
MORE MORE MORE.
You seek to continue this.

reduce re-use recycle.
WTF are you babbling about? If you're trying to further demonstrate your incoherence; it's working. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 06:49 pm
Litter
As an employee of a company that handles several thousand tons of poultry litter each year I think it is an utter waste to use this in any form of direct combustion. Shocked

Follow me through this, please. We would use poultry litter to generate electricity which then could be used to break natural gas apart to provide nitrogen (ammonia) for fertilizer?? Sounds like a gavernment (sic) program to me!! Confused

There is definitely a problem with poultry litter when it is ignorantly handled in the high concentrations that modern factory farming methods require. However it should be treated and handled as a resource with considerable fertilizing value, not simply burned. There is much less valuable stuff that will combust under the right conditions. Surprised

For instance--- When composted in a properly built digester a by product very similar to natural gas is produced and the spent litter is a much more concentrated and safer soil amendment. We have a pilot plant in our county. Seems to work!

Rodale Press amongst others has several books and articles that address this problem.

The economical, safe, and environmentally beneficial way to handle all sorts of mammalian bodily wastes should be the subject of another thread.(IMO natch) Smile
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 09:01 pm
Thanks akaMech. I think you're right. After reading that nuke power piece I dug up; I defaulted back to favoring nuke, hydro and ethanol. :wink:
0 Replies