Wearing the same dress as someone else ...

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:02 am
Every woman who attends a (formal) party sems the same concern: what if someone else shows up in the same dress? ...

Men, I think, take it more easily: where did YOU get it? What did YOU pay for it ...

Any stories? :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,634 • Replies: 57
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:20 am
Nope.

Woman.......

and........

couldn't give a ****.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:26 am
I don't attend many formal events, but at my husband's winter ball last year, a woman smiled at me for ages and kept pointing at her stole...
It took me a while to figure out that she tried to point out to me that she wore the same as me.
I don't think I would have even noticed on my own, and she did not seem to mind.

However, when I was introduced to this ball, I was told, by the wife of a colleague of my husband, that you should not just not wear the same dress as somebody else, but that you should not wear the same dress as the year before.
Apparently women would notice...

I know I wouldn't...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:27 am
Yup. At my college friend's wedding, I showed up in the same gown as her aunt--except for the color. My dress was mint green; hers was baby blue. I thought she might faint. She was that upset, which is one of the reasons I remember the incident at all. I really didn't care then and don't care about such things now.

I bought the dress because I liked it. I didn't like it any less because someone else liked it too.

I heard she made quite a stir about her looking better in it than I did. Okey dokey. I was four inches taller, twenty pounds lighter, and thirty years younger than the aunt. I just laughed. But she was a beautiful woman, so maybe she did look better than I did. Like I said. I didn't care. In fact, I'm laughing now as I remember back on the whole silly thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:31 am
Bohne wrote:
I don't attend many formal events, but at my husband's winter ball last year, a woman smiled at me for ages and kept pointing at her stole...
It took me a while to figure out that she tried to point out to me that she wore the same as me.
I don't think I would have even noticed on my own, and she did not seem to mind.

However, when I was introduced to this ball, I was told, by the wife of a colleague of my husband, that you should not just not wear the same dress as somebody else, but that you should not wear the same dress as the year before.
Apparently women would notice...

I know I wouldn't...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Again, I am a woman, and I would neither notice....nor, if I did.....GIVE A ****!!!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:55 am
would you notice if i wore the same dress as you dlowan.

I know you wouldn't care... but would you notice?

how bout same knickers? would you notice?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 03:58 am
Im quite amazed tht with certain pieces being popular in high streets that more people dont walk around wearing the same thing!
I think thats why I avoid advertised items as everybody will know where its from and how much it is etc.

I agree, I dont care either.

I think other people would secretly be judging me against the other person re what we looked like in the same thing but I couldnt give a hooha at the end of the day.

I did go to a funfair type thing with a friend and we both had on the same plain tshirt.
She looked better than me, she looks better than me in everything.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:41 am
Saw a gal walking down the street near a downtown bus stop, wearing an outfit I'd seen (and considered purchasing) in a catalog. About all it made me think of was, maybe I will get that; it looks kinda comfortable.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:50 am
I can't remember the last fancy party I attended. A knit shirt and shorts is about as formal as I get nowadays.

Just last week, I went to Disney World to see the flower show. A woman comes over to me. She is wearing the same shirt as I am, only hers is sleeveless, and mine has sleeves. She points out the fact that both of us have on the same tops.

To which I reply, "And that is because we both have exquisite taste!" Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:54 am
Actually just remembered, I went to a bar one evening a few years back, wearing a very distinctive dress.I left quite early.

A couple of days later my friends tell me that later that same eveining somebody else turned up in the same dress!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 06:46 am
dadpad wrote:
would you notice if i wore the same dress as you dlowan.

I know you wouldn't care... but would you notice?

how bout same knickers? would you notice?

Not sure if I'd notice.

In my considerable experience, there just ain't no way of keeping Aussie men out of frocks.

Mind you, I might notice if it looked better on you.

I don't think we're likely to get to the knicker stage, are we?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:27 am
My sister and I are Irish twins, born less than a year apart. Childrens fashions in the '40's were limited compared to today and our Best Dresses were frequently the same style. If possible we wore different colors, but....

I don't mind if another woman shares my taste--but I don't want to be asked whether we're twins.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:16 am
I never, ever wear the Sweetie Pie Girl's knickers. I do suspect, though, that she might occasionally wear my boxer shorts.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:29 am
Call me shallow but no, I would not like to see myself coming and going at a party or on the street. I'd be a little mortified. Thankfully, it's never happened because, for one, I don't buy whole outfits. I buy separate tops and bottoms and create my own ensembles.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:40 am
you and me both eoe, on both counts.

especially if it was a formal event that you laid out some money.

Once I went to a wedding, and there was a guest there wearing the same gown as the mother of the groom.

oy.

actually, I don't wear trendy stuff, so a turtleneck is a turtleneck is a turtleneck.

yes, I definatly would notice is someone had on the same clothing item(s) as me.

More often, I'll pass a woman who is wearing the exact opposite colors, she in black pants and tan top and shoes...I'm in tan pants and black top and shoes. It'll be really funny if our hair color and/or skin color is polar to each other.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:43 am
After yesterdays revelations about Walter and the feather duster and now he starts a thread about his dresses..... well.... I don't know what to think....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:45 am
I was going to a wedding and I asked the guy at the tuxedo store to give me a unique tuxedo, something no one else would be wearing.

http://www.midamericon.org/photoarchive/06capclave05.JPG

Joe(I also let me beard grow out for three days)Nation
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:02 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:28 am
Normally I wouldn't care - it just makes me feel odd - like I dressed like a twin or called so and so to look like them.

One other woman where I work came in one day wearing "my" sweater. We bought the same sweater - probably from the same store too as we live near each other. She only works certain days in the week - I make sure I where my sweater on the days she typically is not in - just because it would seem kinda gay to dress alike.

What I really dislike is couples who dress alike. My husband and I have an outfit that is almost identical - black slacks and a light blue pinstripe type of shirt. He always teases me when I wear that outfit he will put on his. Even if we are going to our separate places of work, I would not want the same outfit on as him - much much too gay.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:33 am
When you say "gay", what do you mean?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wearing the same dress as someone else ...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 01:15:23