Fine-Tuning 17, Different from/Different than

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 03:40 am
Wy, That thud you just heard was me--fainting from the shock. Shocked I'm horrified. Different to???? Say it isn't so, Wy. Crying or Very sad What's next? Different of? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:59 pm
Please don't faint, Roberta. I promise never to use it myself! And if I can find out where it was used, and it wasn't an attempt to use the dialect of an ignorant person, I'll let you know. In the meantime, let's talk about something different...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:27 pm
It's different to say what Wy just said than it is to say what Roberta said yesterday.

Not a single 'from' in that sentence.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:29 pm
Sorry, MA, but the eejits I was thinking of were actually using phrases like: Roberta's thinking is different to Wy's.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:41 pm
I know, Wy. But I was born a wiseass.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 06:28 pm
Is a wiseass different from or different to a smartass? Can't be the same thing. Wise and smart don't mean the same thing. Hmmm. A wisecrack is rarely wise. I'm still reeling from the introduction of "to."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 07:38 pm
For the purposes of this discussion, Roboita, 'wiseass' and 'smartass' are synonims, i.e. they are not different from each other, except, of course, in the matter of spellink.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 09:11 pm
I have, as you have noticed, been defending using "different than" in a cavalier manner, but I am not sure that I do ever use "different than". I will have to listen to myself more, what a pain. Perhaps I got into the spirit of arguing without listening to my own drummer. I know I have a drummer, I bucked the system for years on commas, as we previously discussed, only to have my method exonerated. {apples, peaches, pears, plums, and kiwis.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 03:22 am
Spellink or spelunk? One is significantly different by the other.

Osso, We all gotta march and listen to our own drummer. If you've never used "different than," now's a good time to start.
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:12 am
Hi, everyone! I was taught to use 'different from' and subsequently learned that 'different to' is used in England. Anybody from the UK who can verify that? Thanks.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 09:35 am
Angelina, Welcome to a2k. There are a number of Brits on this site. Don't know if they'll stop by here though.
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:19 pm
Well, Roberta, I took matters into my own hands and googled American vs. British English; came upon a website I chose; wrote to an 'expert' and here is his response (without my identifying information):

"I think most British speakers would prefer "different
to", although "different from" wouldn't raise too many
eyebrows - unlike the ugly (to me!) "different than".

[email protected]
http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb"

What do you and Wy think about that?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 08:08 pm
I can't speak for either Roberta or Wy, of course, but I personally think that 'different to' is an abomination which should not only be outlawed. but the use of which should carry serious penalties, up to and including capital punishment.
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 08:11 pm
Oh, Merry Andrew, you're very strict; I really think the death penalty should be saved for British cooking which is different to simple phraseology...aaaggghhh, is he coming after me with a rope?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 08:27 pm
Not to worry, Angelina. (Now there's a proper use of that particular preposition.) I'm only a hanging judge, not actually the executioner.
0 Replies

angelina

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 08:29 pm
I feel much better now, MerryAndrew! A hanging judge is, of course, different to an executioner Laughing Laughing :wink: Cool !
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:11 pm
Angelina, Thanks for hunting down the information. There's a thread here on American vs. British English. That particular bit of info never came up.

Andy, Get a grip. If we started bumping off all the people who use the language in a way we don't care for, there won't be many people left. A solution to overpopulation? Mebbe. And mebbe there'd be fewer hanging judges if they were the ones who also had to release the lever. Let a few of them watch some poor slobs who said "different to" twist slowly in the wind. I for one am going to be mighty careful about what I say around you. Gulp.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:50 am
Roberta, you never did say what your own opinion is on the alleged British useage of 'different to.' I think I already know but go ahead and tell us. Fear not, My bark is far, far worse than my bite.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 05:54 am
If it's good enough for Webster's, it's good enough for me.

www.meriam-websters.com

Quote:
usage Numerous commentators have condemned different than in spite of its use since the 17th century by many of the best-known names in English literature. It is nevertheless standard and is even recommended in many handbooks when followed by a clause. Different from, the generally safe choice, is more common and is even used in constructions where than would work more smoothly.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 06:31 am
Andy, I dun like "different to." It's too different from what I'm accustomed to.

Dupre, "Different from" has been drummed into my brain since I was a little kid. I'm willing to use "different than" under circumstances that the dictionary specifies. But it won't be easy for me, and it won't seem right. I'll adjust.
0 Replies