Phoenix to Go to Mars

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 05:51 pm
By Irene Klotz

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - A robotic probe designed to touch and analyze Martian water for the first time is being prepared for launch at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, officials said Tuesday.

The craft, known as Phoenix, is expected to land in the northern polar region of Mars and dig beneath the soil. Launch is scheduled for Aug. 3 from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Bolstered by evidence that Mars once had liquid surface water, scientists are keen to recover an actual sample to see if the materials for life exist. A fleet of satellites and rovers has been scouring the surface of Mars to try to determine if the planet was habitable at some point in its past. Scientists also want to understand the environmental and climatic changes that turned what is believed to have been a warm, watery world into the cold, dry desert that exists today.

Phoenix will add a microscopic perspective to the mix.

Upon reaching Mars in May 2008, the spacecraft is to land just as the winter ice begins to recede around the polar cap. Scientists expect the probe will touch down on newly exposed soil, but their true target lies just beneath the surface.

Among Phoenix's tools are devices to scoop and drill, photograph and chemically analyze soil and ice samples.

"We expect hard, icy soil right beneath the ground," planetary scientist and Phoenix researcher Ray Arvidson, with Washington University in St. Louis, said in an interview.

Samples will be dissolved in water to look for salts, which likely would have been deposited during watery conditions in the past. Phoenix's onboard laboratory also includes small ovens to break down minerals in the samples for chemical analysis.

Searching for water
NASA's first foray for signs of the ingredients for life on Mars was conducted during the twin 1976 Viking missions, but those landers touched down in dry regions. Satellites have since revealed widespread ice near the planet's poles.

Some scientists believe a vast frozen ocean is buried beneath the ice. Another theory says Mars' polar ice solidified from atmospheric water vapor, not a widespread ocean.

Phoenix will be able to make isotopic measurements of the hydrogen and oxygen molecules and perhaps resolve this puzzle.

"It's likely that we'll get interesting results from the soil samples," Arvidson said.

Spare parts from past failures
First, Phoenix must reach Mars, a journey that has claimed dozens of previous spacecraft. Phoenix is a resurrection of spare parts and instruments from the unsuccessful Mars Polar Lander and Mars Surveyor 2001 Lander initiatives.

Polar Lander was lost as it attempted to touch down in December 1999. Mars Surveyor was canceled in the wake of Polar Lander's failure and the loss of a sister probe, Mars Climate Orbiter, two months earlier.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,041 • Replies: 15
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 05:56 pm
It is totally cool and appropriate that they named it Phoenix.

But it would have been awesome if they'd really sent Phoenix!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 06:55 pm
Linda Goes To Mars
John Prine

I just found out yesterday that Linda goes to Mars
Every time I sit and look at pictures of used cars
She'll turn on her radio and sit down in her chair
And look at me across the room, as if I wasn't there

Oh My stars! My Linda's gone to Mars
Well I wish she wouldn't leave me here alone
Well, I wonder if she'd bring me something home.

Something, somewhere, somehow took my Linda by the hand
And secretly decoded our sacred wedding band
For when the moon shines down up on our happy, humble home
Her inner space gets tortured by some outer space unknown.

Now I ain't seen no saucers 'cept the ones upon the shelf
And if I ever seen one I'd keep it to myself
For if there's life out there somewhere beyond this life on earth
Then Linda must have gone out there and got her money's worth.

Yeah, I wonder if she'd bring me something home.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 12:12 am
whatever, we should be setting up research colonies not playing with RC cars.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 04:48 am
I suggest the robotic Mars landers, in future, carry roach motels, anticipating the day we start the first colony.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 04:48 am
boomerang wrote:
It is totally cool and appropriate that they named it Phoenix.

But it would have been awesome if they'd really sent Phoenix!

Are you telling me where I can go??? Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:09 am
Ha!

That was intended as a complement to honor your adventurous spirit, Phoenix, but upon rereading I can see how it might be interpreted otherwise.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 05:46 pm
Phoenix takes flight!
BY WILLIAM HARWOOD

NASA's $420 million Phoenix Mars lander blasted off early today and began a 10-month voyage to the red planet, bound for the northern polar plains where scientists believe vast deposits of ice are hidden just beneath the frozen surface.

Running a day late because of stormy weather that slowed launch processing, the United Launch Alliance Boeing 2 rocket roared to life at 5:26:34 a.m. and quickly climbed away from launch complex 17 at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. The international space station emerged from Earth's shadow seconds before liftoff, a brilliant "star" above the launch pad, and as the Delta 2 went supersonic, it streaked past Mars gleaming red in the morning sky 122 million miles away, a clearly visible target for NASA's newest robotic explorer.

The Delta's first two stages performed normally to put the Phoenix lander and its interplanetary cruise stage into a preliminary parking orbit 106 miles up. A final boost by the lander's solid-fuel third stage motor took place on time about 84 minutes after launch to accelerate the spacecraft to the required departure velocity.

A ground station at Goldstone, Calif., picked up telemetry from the spacecraft almost immediately - 9 seconds after its transmitter turned on - but it took a few minutes for word of a healthy spacecraft to filter out to reporters and other NASA managers not directly involved in the checkout procedure. But at an 11 a.m. news conference, officials said Phoenix was in near perfect health with all systems operating normally. The Delta 2 rocket put the craft on a near-ideal trajectory and if all goes well, Phoenix will reach Mars on May 25, 2008.

"While we're really happy that we now have ourselves on our way, that's great, it's 295 days to our entry, descent and landing where we get to do everything that was done today, but we do it in reverse," said Barry Goldstein, Phoenix project manager at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "We go from the velocity we're at now down to 5 mph in seven minutes. It'll be a lot of fun."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 10:39 am
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:19 am
This was on the SciFi channel, edgar.

http://www.scifi.com/crystalskulls/

H.G. Wells really started something, didn't he?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:23 am
Letty wrote:
This was on the SciFi channel, edgar.

http://www.scifi.com/crystalskulls/

H.G. Wells really started something, didn't he?

If they detect microbes, they better not return anything to Earth, or the Wells story might unfold in reverse.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 09:04 am
Phoenix Mars mission:
Phoenix Mars mission:
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/videos.php

and

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 09:08 am
Re: Phoenix Mars mission:

Should land 6:30 my time. I'm as excited as a small boy about to see Hopalong Cassidy in the local parade.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 06:08 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 07:05 pm
I guess I will begin a new thread, since it is not possible to change the title of this one.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 07:32 am
A New Horizon for Phoenix
A New Horizon for Phoenix
Credit: Phoenix Mission Team, NASA, JPL-Caltech, Univ. Arizona

Explanation: This flat horizon stretches across the red planet as seen by the Phoenix spacecraft after yesterday's landing on Mars. Touching down shortly after 7:30pm Eastern Time, Phoenix made the first successful soft landing on Mars, using rockets to control its final speed, since the Viking landers in 1976. Launched in August of 2007, Phoenix has now made the northernmost landing and is intended to explore the Martian arctic's potentially ice-rich soil. The lander has returned images and data initially indicating that it is in excellent shape after a nearly flawless descent. News updates will be available throughout the day.

Images from the lander:

http://fawkes4.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=440&cID=8

http://fawkes4.lpl.arizona.edu/images.php?gID=313&cID=7
0 Replies