Homo Erectus and the Mammoth?

Roberta

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 01:46 pm
I'm editing a book that make passing reference to Homo erectus hunting woolly mammoths.

This sounded fishy to me, so I did some digging around online. From what I was able to glean, Homo erectus was extinct when the mammoths were around. However, I don't feel certain that what I found (or gleaned) is correct.

Does anyone know? If not Homo erectus, then what version of human did hunt mammoths?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,545 • Replies: 9
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:01 pm
H. erectus lived between about two million and 400,000 years ago. (BBC)

Mammoths lived in Africa, Europe, Asia and North America between about 1.6 million years ago and 10,000 years ago during the Pleistocene epoch.

Seems that they over-lapped, right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:06 pm
It sounds rather suspect, because it would hinge on whether or not homo erectus and the woolly mammoth shared the same range at the same time.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:18 pm
Q
What's this about a homo with a mammoth erectus? I'm going to report you guys. SO politically incorrect!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:25 pm
This Wikipedia article has the woolly mammoth appearing circa 150,000 YBP, which does not coincide with the date ranges Lil' Kay had for h. erectus. Note that this is the woolly mammoth, mammuthus primigenius, which is one of several species of the genus mammuthus, so your editorial discretion may turn on whether or not the author insists upon the woolly mammoth.

From Berkeley University:

Quote:
Back in Eurasia, another species of mammoth, the steppe mammoth (M. trogontherii), lived from 200,000 to 135,000 years ago. And later in the Pleistocene, the woolly mammoth (M. primigenius), which incidentally was the smallest of the mammoths, made its debut.

--which further casts doubt on the notion that h. erectus would have hunted the woolly mammoth, because of the dates when each flourished.

Keep in mind, also, that hunting a mammoth, even the relatively smaller woolly mammoth would have been a complex group hunting operation. This is something else which makes me doubt that h. erectus would have hunted mammoth, never mind the woolly mammoth, which appears to have appeared after the disappearance of h. erectus.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 02:29 pm
I seem to recall an article claiming that homo erectus was more than likely more scavenger than hunter. But, don't take my word for it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:50 pm
This from a Smithsonian source

The species Homo erectus is thought to have diverged from Homo ergaster populations roughly 1.6 million years ago, and then spread into Asia. It was believed that Homo erectus disappeared as other populations of archaic Homo evolved roughly 400,000 years ago. Evidently, this is not the case. Recent studies into the complicated stratigraphy of the Java Homo erectus sites have revealed some surprising information. Researchers have dated the deposits thought to contain the fossils of H. erectus near the Solo River in Java to only 50,000 years ago. This would mean that at least one population of Homo erectus in Java was a contemporary of modern humans (Homo sapiens).

So these old guys could have hunted anything.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 03:54 pm
That is interesting, McT. It leaves two questions, however. The first is whether or not the range of the woolly mammoth extended that far south, and the second is whether or not h. erectus was sufficiently sophisticated to have been capable of the cooperation necessary to hunt such an animal.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 04:05 pm
Conjecture R us. I would not assume that the discovery of remains in Java necessarily indicated that these geezers lived only in Java. Maybe they swarmed all over the place.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 05:36 pm
Thanks, all, for your info and for investigating and researching for me. You guys are da best.

If this book were about this subject, I'd be with you delving deeper. Although this was a passing reference for the sake of imagery, I would not leave information that I know to be incorrect. Since the issue is in doubt, I changed the reference from Home erectus to early humans. Home erectus is more powerful phrasing, but better safe than sorry.

BTW, I also did some digging about saber-tooth tigers, apparently a misnomer. They weren't really tigers. I changed that reference to crocodiles.

Thanks, again.
0 Replies