Preganant Fish

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 01:50 pm
Hiyaa, Im new here. I have two Shubunkins (mind the spelling?) I think they are male and female. The female is really fatand lays ont eh bottom alot. She also tends to get extremely agitated especially when someone is close by. The male isn't really doing that much. He chases her sometimes. I noticed that he stays very close to her though. I think she may be laying eggs soon but how can I tell when she is ready to lay the eggs so I can get them out? Does someone need to watch the tank all the time? What do the eggs look like? will i be ablr to see them clearly whan she layes them? (if she does that is) x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 501 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 02:15 pm
angelcake, I don't like to spoil your nice dream, especially with a pretty name like that, but (How can I put this?) I have to tell you that lady fish don't er, "get pregnant". That's how mammals reproduce. Not fish.

I don't know how old you are, or how much you already know about mammalian reproduction, (including human), so I am choosing my words carefully.

Basically, When she is ready, the lady fish will lay some eggs somewhere on the bottom of the tank, in some weed perhaps, and then the gentleman fish, er, um, swims over them if you get my meaning. (If you don't, ask your parents. I'm not going to be the one to tell you the facts of life).

Your lady fish might be full of eggs, I suppose, ("gravid" is the word for this) and I guess the gentleman fish might know about that, (Maybe that's why he's following her around).

I would get him out if you don't want lots of baby shubunkins.

She might be suffering from bloat or some other condition. You should buy a book of goldfish care and check out their diet.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 02:24 pm
angelcake, click on the link below.

Spawning Goldfish

It describes the entire process.
0 Replies

angelcake8891

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 02:27 pm
hahaa i am 14 so i know about reproduction so its okay x
0 Replies