What are you afraid of?

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 02:19 pm
I'm not afraid of very much, but I am absolutely petrified by three things:

1. Being restrained (straight-jacket, tied up in ropes, put in an enclosed space)

2. Heights - not actually petrified here, but no, I could not climb up or down a mountain and have trouble on a ladder even

3. Not being able to see... that in itself isn't so bad, but combine them with being restrained and put into a tiny enclosed place (worse, on top of a building) and I think I'd be hyperventilating at the very least.

4. I'm also extremely nervous at public speaking. I think I actually squeaked once! Laughing

What about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,539 • Replies: 31
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 03:36 pm
Heh, you're just like Eowyn...

Anyway, I am afraid of...

1. heights, this is definitely my #1 fear
2. social rejections (but totally fine with public speaking)
3. imprisoned as well...
4. being hunted by the government
5. having my nose hit or my ears ripped (I get quivers just thinking about hitting my nose on things!)
6. getting less than A on anything
7. not having something named after me

That's all I can think of
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 03:46 pm
jello made with raw pineapple and velveeta.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 04:07 pm
Water, I don't trust something you can breathe in

Heights, I think that's a natural, instinctual fear.

having hands restrained behind back. Never have had that happen though. When I see people getting arrested on TV, I often think that's the worst part.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 04:19 pm
I'm seriously afraid of heights, after I found myself on a narrow ledge of a mountain with no guardrails and had a panic situation, not wanting to drive forward and reasonably frightened to just stay where I was. My client, whose property I had gone to visit, had told me people had gone over the cliff there...
No standing at the very edge of the Grand Canyon for me...

I used to be afraid of public speaking, but with school presentations in my middle age, real life presentations before design review boards and audiences, plus advancing age-and-what-can-they-do-to-me sensations, I gained more nonchalance.

I'm afraid of spiders, except daddy-long-legs. Unfortunately, I have one somewhere in my brain; that is, I sometimes wake up startled with a spider coming toward me, and in a few seconds, it becomes obvious it's not real but some phantasm, some damned bit of detritus that replays the image once or twice a year.

I'm afraid of Alzheimer's. It's rampant on my mother's side of the family.

I'm afraid of being homeless, which is not an immediate possibility, but is not entirely unreasonable. Mix that with the Alzheimer's fear and you can see an outline of dread.

Am afraid of being deaf and blind, both reasonable as I'm pretty hearing lost and have pretty wild eye issues. Now, mix that with also having Alzheimer's and being homeless, and we have a movie.

Stuh - you're talking with a major glass door walking into person. and I always meet them with my nose. I guess mine is flexible. So far.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 05:57 pm
I don't ski ever since I felt a really compelling motivation to jump off the ski lift. That was scary. And coming down the mountain wasn't any fun after that, either.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:08 pm
osso, what are you saying about glass doors and prison? you get locked in a glass prison and walk into the walls? what are you, magneto? I'm sure they'd throw me in a regular cell with steel bars.

and Mame, that's pretty weird...you're supposed to be irrationally afraid of heights, not rationally afraid of not having an irrational fear of heights...and don't tell me a fear of heights is rational, or I'll argue about that :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:20 pm
dyslexia wrote:
jello made with raw pineapple and velveeta.

Ew

Heights, definitely heights.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:24 pm
Sandworms....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:29 pm
A chocolate drought.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 06:58 pm
stuh505 wrote:
4. being hunted by the government

Laughing

What about the episode of CSI when Nick gets buried alive! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:12 pm
oh yeah, that was bad when the fireants got in there.

whew.

I get really frightened by people yelling at each other, or me.

I must admit that I do on rare occassions yell at someone, but never for more than a few seconds and I always feel badly about it later.

Getting yelled at makes me want to fall to pieces.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:22 pm
Ashers wrote:

What about the episode of CSI when Nick gets buried alive! Crying or Very sad

That had me creeped out. Other than the fact that his eyes and body were unbound, that's my worst nightmare and I lived it as he lived it. That was so creepy. Never mind any bugs!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:34 pm
Girls.

And guys scare the **** out of me.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:38 pm
Yeah never mind the ants, I also lived it as he lived it, mainly due to what seemed like a great performance, he really looked like a terrified child, as you would be. After watching a programme years ago regarding cavern/cave exploring, deep below the earth, I imagined becoming trapped down there, with my movement completely limited (particularly the ability to look around) and facing down, never being found, that has stuck with me for years.

If it involves a good shot of adrenaline or is very physically demanding I'll rise to the occasion and then some with fears, I'm not a fan of heights but I'd love to sky dive/bungee jump for the rush...if it's more of a perceived psychological battle though, helpless in it's nature...

Gargamel wrote:
Girls.

And guys scare the **** out of me.

That's a tough combo!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:20 pm
Hello, some of us are talking about our real fears. Cough 'em up, never mind movies. (chickenshits... re explaining fears).

Stuh, person, not prison...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:06 am
ossobuco wrote:
Stuh - you're talking with a major glass door walking into person. and I always meet them with my nose. I guess mine is flexible. So far.

Ooooh, haha, I didn't realize "glass-door-walking-into-person" was all one noun phrase.

I was reading it as "You're talking with a major glass door walking into a prison." ?

Well luckily I don't think my nose has ever been hit...but it's just the thought of it that bothers me. Because the bone structure underneath is all jagged...so I imagine the cartilage being pushed up in there into shreds..
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:11 am
ewwwwwwwwwwwwww -- I think I've just developed a new fear.

Actually, the sensation that Mame described -- the wanting to jump off the ski lift -- I understand that. I get it too in certain situations, the horrible nauseous thrill in the pit of my gut, the irrational urge to jump, the horror in my mind of doing it -- I thought that was what the fear of heights was all about.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:29 am
Definately blindness-thats been on my mind alot recently and Ithought that if I ever, God forbid, became blind I wouldnt be able to do my main hobby which would drive me to suicide!!

Water-never like it since I was little, no idea why.

Public speaking, talking in general, job interviews-Basically anything that involves me and talking.I have a crappy job because i have no confidence and cant do job interviews.

Body stuff-Im not talking sex, tho I may be frightened of that, il let you know if i ever do it again.More like medical body stuff, especially in certain areas, think id prefer to be ill rather than looked at.

That old wives tale of somebody being under the bed-often I sleep with my arm hanging out of the bed and I sometimes worry that some thing is going to grab my wrist!!

Im also scared that this is as good as it gets.
What if this is my life, and nothing changes, no new/good job, no increase in wages, no love/boyfriend etc.
Im going to die a sad lonely old woman, maybe even a young woman!!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:46 am
Tico wrote:
I get it too in certain situations, the horrible nauseous thrill in the pit of my gut, the irrational urge to jump, the horror in my mind of doing it -- I thought that was what the fear of heights was all about.

Interesting...for me it is completely different. I just get paralyzed and my limbs get all quivery, so that what shouldn't be dangerous actually does become a dangerous thing just because I don't have total control over my body
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What are you afraid of?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 04:45:16