Where did angular momentum come from?

stuh505

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:56 am
I'm pretty sure convection doesn't happen in an object like the moon that does not have a fluid or plasma core
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:56 am
stuh505 wrote:
I'm pretty sure convection doesn't happen in an object like the moon that does not have a fluid or plasma core

Of course Smile
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 03:53 pm
If it was fluid once, then that could produce a present day magnetic field, though, yeah?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 04:51 pm
Eorl wrote:
If it was fluid once, then that could produce a present day magnetic field, though, yeah?

No, a field is not a physical thing -- it is an abstract concept used to describe the potential for force at all locations. So as soon as the source of the magnetism changes or goes away, the field changes or goes away, too.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 09:33 pm
Eorl wrote:

Some of the minerals on the surface could have been polarized by the original field, and any molten material which solidified while the field was in place could have been polarized just like magma here on earth.

I think the resulting polarized field would be very weak though in comparison to an active field being generated from fluid movements.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 10:18 pm
Which would appear to be the case.
0 Replies