solutions for car-sick dog?

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 01:22 am
So not only will my new dog refuseto eliminate outside but she also seems to get car sick. Even going only 2 miles away. I've given her 5 car rides since I've had her and she's puked 4 times. Anyone have any suggestions on how to help this problem. I want to be able to take her places without worrying about her poor tummy. Much less having to clean vomit!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 845 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 04:20 am
Aw, poor thing.

The dog we had when I was growing up was car sick until he was about 9 or so. I'm not sure why things changed.

Here are some of the things I remember we used to do:
* Don't drive with the dog unless it's at least an hour, maybe more, since the dog last ate. Water is fine but no food. Give things a chance to go down.
* Start with short trips, even just around the block. Show that it's not scary and you're not always going to the vet.
* Windows shouldn't be all the way down because the dog could jump out, but definitely crack them a bit. Keep the heat off if you can.
* Dogs have much keener senses of smell than we do, so he (she? I forget, sorry) might be smelling some old food or something like that. I'm not saying you have to be a cleaning machine but try cleaning with something fairly odor-free. Might want to try baking soda, too.
* Slow driving, if you can, is also helpful. This is no good to you on a highway, but if you're doing short trips anyway, you should be able to do this.
* The dog might be getting overly excited. Maybe just make it no big deal.

If all else fails --
* An old blanket or tarp on the seat will help with clean up.
* Ask your vet about something like dramamine.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 04:54 am
dancergirl - have you considered asking a veterinarian????
0 Replies

dancergirl

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:02 am
I asked the vet and she kind of beat around the question bc there were other questions at hand that were more demanding. Like she also has some sort of vaginitis infection and tape worms. Yes I tried the driving slow thing. Unfortunately I live where there's a lot of curves in the street. I'm sure that doesn't help. And am def. putting a towel down when we go. I'll try talking to the vet again. Poor thing has gone through a lot lately. Thanks for the tips!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 09:41 am
dancergirl wrote:
I asked the vet and she kind of beat around the question bc there were other questions at hand that were more demanding. Like she also has some sort of vaginitis infection and tape worms. Yes I tried the driving slow thing. Unfortunately I live where there's a lot of curves in the street. I'm sure that doesn't help. And am def. putting a towel down when we go. I'll try talking to the vet again. Poor thing has gone through a lot lately. Thanks for the tips!

Well, if I were you I'd be more concerned about the worms and the vaginal infection too.

She probably doesn't want to go because it's painful.

Take care of the medical problems first, then worry about her car sickness.

And think about a new vet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:25 am
Poor girl. What's her name, by the way?

Just in case it's emotional, instead of physical, maybe you could let her play in the car while it's parked, with not every play session ending in a ride. Most dogs love riding, and I have no experience behind the suggestion, so it's just a guess.
0 Replies

dancergirl

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

Well, if I were you I'd be more concerned about the worms and the vaginal infection too.

She probably doesn't want to go because it's painful.

Take care of the medical problems first, then worry about her car sickness.

And think about a new vet.

She's on medication for both problems. It's being taken care of.

I'm also not sure if she's spayed or not. They shelter didn't give me a straight answer. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the potty issue?

Her name is Aeva. She's a beautiful dog. Her personality is getting better everyday. You can really tell she's been mistreated though.
I could do the playing in the parked car thing. I'd have to turn the AC on though. We live in Central Texas and it's getting to be that time of year... Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:53 pm
I've heard of dogs having issues after being spayed so it's possible.

I'd definitely get another opinion though. It could be medical or it could be psychological.

Either way it stinks, right?

I suspect that it's psychological though. Maybe once she gets to trust you, things will get better.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 04:46 pm
I've gone through this a couple of times.

I followed a lot of the ideas from Dogs for Dummies - with some personal modifications.

For one dog it was clearly a nerves issue, the other it was excitement mixed with a bit of problem with curves (let's not talk about the Catskills adventure Confused ).

In both cases, I started by simply going out with them and sitting in the car for about 2 - 5 minutes - and then going for a short walk or coming right back onto the porch. After that became easy for them, it was drives up and down the driveway - all of about 10 or 20 feet. Then a walk, or porch sit.

Then - down the block, park the car, walk home, sit on porch, walk down the street, drive home.

Then down the street to the nearest park, play, back in the car, home.

The process took about 2 weeks in total, with only minor regressions when things got too exciting for one of the dogs. No problems for about 4 years now.

In the meantime, I got used to covering the back seat and hatch with towels, so there are always towels for muddy or wet dogs after happy adventures. Both of them know to jump into the trunk with the towels if they're very wet - they get towelled off - then hop into the car.
0 Replies

dancergirl

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:38 am
ehBeth wrote:
I've gone through this a couple of times.

I followed a lot of the ideas from Dogs for Dummies - with some personal modifications.

For one dog it was clearly a nerves issue, the other it was excitement mixed with a bit of problem with curves (let's not talk about the Catskills adventure Confused ).

In both cases, I started by simply going out with them and sitting in the car for about 2 - 5 minutes - and then going for a short walk or coming right back onto the porch. After that became easy for them, it was drives up and down the driveway - all of about 10 or 20 feet. Then a walk, or porch sit.

Then - down the block, park the car, walk home, sit on porch, walk down the street, drive home.

Then down the street to the nearest park, play, back in the car, home.

The process took about 2 weeks in total, with only minor regressions when things got too exciting for one of the dogs. No problems for about 4 years now.

In the meantime, I got used to covering the back seat and hatch with towels, so there are always towels for muddy or wet dogs after happy adventures. Both of them know to jump into the trunk with the towels if they're very wet - they get towelled off - then hop into the car.

Thanks these tips sound very helpful! I'll make sure to give them all a try. It's hard to tell if it's nerves or not. I have no background on her which is frustrating. The only time she didn't vomit was the day we took her home.

Ps~ Last night I got her to pee twice and poop twice outside! So encouraging! She had held her pee for 48 hours though and I was starting to get worried. It's 10:30am and still no potty yet. Hopefully she won't try to hold it ALL day again.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:57 am
That's encouraging to hear, dancergirl. In a short while she'll adjust, the
key is to keep a routine and always go out at the same time with her.

ehbeth routine for motion sickness seems very promising.

Good luck with your "girl". Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:37 pm
dancergirl, she's pretty new to your 'pack'.

That she's already making progress is a very good sign. She wants to be a good dog.

Dogs are a lot like kids in this way - if there's a change in their environment, there will be regressions - then they'll come back to the good habits they knew before the change.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:51 am
my 1 and a half year old pitbull gets carsick, it sucks! Im pretty sure its nerves and she hasnt done it for a lil bit now hopefully i dont have to come back and re-read this post hehe.
0 Replies