Phone Company Line Setup Issue

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 12:18 pm
So, we are moving into a new house, and we transferred our old phone number. They disconnected it at the old house, but refused to connect it to the new one, saying that there was already service on the line that they could not disconnect.

We have no dial tone, and a phone number that has been disconnected.

The phone people say the former owners set the line to "vacation" instead of disconnecting. WTF? How do I get around this issue? It is my house and my phone lines beyond their box, but they won't provide service!!! The former owners seem to be unavailable. For all I know they took the money and left the country.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 892 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 05:03 pm
Congrats on the new house.

Have you tried contacting the closing attorney in order to see if he or she has a forwarding address? After all, the lawyer has to send a bill some place. Explain the situation; the seller probably just forgot.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 09:18 pm
Michigan doesn't require closing attorneys, almost nobody uses them here. I wish we had.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 01:23 am
Half a world apart, but the same phone service!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 02:09 am
Wilso wrote:
Half a world apart, but the same phone service!

who ya gonna call?

Telstra chief executive Sol Trujillo has experience with ripping the guts out of phone companies in both countries.

CJ have you paid your phone account from your last house? is it the same company? refuse to pay until they provide service to your new home.

keep going up the chain of command until you find someone who can actually see sense.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 04:18 am
Hmm what about contacting the realtor (assuming there was one)? He or she might have a forwarding address. There's also the good old post office. They might not want to give out an address but should (I'm assuming this is within 90 days) deliver forwarded mail.

Also, all of the utility companies should have some sort of forwarding address for final bills.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 06:30 am
Thanks everyone.

An update. The former owners called last night and said they took care of the problem. I'm going to give the phone company a call in a bit and see if that is really true.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 08:31 am
Couldn't you have a second line installed with your phone number
in the meantime?

I have 2 phone lines in my house with 2 different numbers.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 07:44 am
Yes CJ that is the alternative. I'm not sure how they do that since there are no overhead wires in the neighborhood - all is underground, but I'm sure it isn't a big deal. It just costs money.

When you buy a house first you take a big wheelbarrow full of money to the closing, then you try to find the bills you dropped on the way. Wink
0 Replies