Carbon dioxide is measured in tons?

Live2Ski

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 11:51 am
I don't want to go into too much detail, but I have read all of the comments about how to calculate the weight (corresponding force exerted on a given amount of mass based on earth's gravitational field).Correct, a weight can be calculated using the number of atoms/molecules times the molecular weight of the atom/molecule. What I am not able to find in my search that brought me to this blog, is how vehicle manufacturers define a tom of Carbon Dioxide. I found one definition that is the amount of CO2 that fits in a cube with 27m sides.... This seems incomplete; at what pressure and temperature is the gas at when it occupies this container? The statistic that I read is that a savings 15 million gallons of fuel is realized while eliminating 160,000 tons of CO2 from entering the atmosphere. Assuming that a gallon of fuel weighs 6.5 lbs, 15M gallons weighs 48,750 tons, only 30% of the weight of the fuel. Throw in the principle of conservation of mass, there is no way that that the statement can be correct unless there is some definition for a Ton of CO2 other than 2,000 lbs.

Can anyone answer this question?
0 Replies