General questions for americans

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 07:45 am
In the USA itself words are used differently.
For example:
Some call a beverage by the word soda and others call it pop.

I noticed people living in the eastern part of the USA refer to DC as "Washington". Many in the west refer to Washington DC as "DC".

Otherwise there is Washington State and there is Washington DC.

Words mean different things to people who live in the same country.
Talk about confusing. I know I get confused.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 08:23 am
Don1, have we 'mericans answered your questions in general? Razz

Southern folks say y'all, but mean a group of folks and never say that to just one person.

Then there is the difference between paper poke and paper bag.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 09:14 am
And paper sack. Shocked

Quote:
Southern folks say y'all, but mean a group of folks and never say that to just one person.

Whereas the illiterate others in America say "you guys" even if there are women in the group.

Joe(I've heard several women address groups made up entirely of women as "you guys") Nation
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 10:37 am
Letty wrote:

Letty, I'm sorry to tell you this, but as I have explained before....

Y'all is singular - as in "Ya'll can call me back after 3 and I'll have an answer"

All Y'all is plural - as in "What do All Y'all want for lunch"?

All Y'alls is plural possessive - as in "That's All Y'alls dog, I told you when we got it you kids would have to take care of it"
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 10:48 am
Joe Nation wrote:
And paper sack. Shocked

Quote:

Whereas the illiterate others in America say "you guys" even if there are women in the group.

Joe(I've heard several women address groups made up entirely of women as "you guys") Nation

Those who say "you guys" are normal to me. It has come to the point of being politically correct in terminology. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Sometimes it is a joke, because even what is correct one day changes the next.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 10:50 am
have heard more than once "you'se guys" - but am not sure how to spell it "correctly" :wink: .
hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 10:50 am
Well, Chai, that may be true in Texas, gal, but it ain't in Virginia. See, Don1, even Americans have their idioms and different forms of address.

As to Joe of all nations, I don't say you guys, but prefer to use folks. That way, all genders are included.

I recall hearing John Kennedy referring to Cuba as Cuber, and if anyone here has ever been to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, they have the strangest references and accents that I have ever heard.

Funny anecdote. I was standing in line at my local bank and both another lady and I were waiting our proper turn. Just then, a woman came in to the lobby through another door and got ahead of everyone. The lady with whom I was chatting, made a loud remark about her indiscretions, and I said, "She's probably a Yankee." She actually laughed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 10:59 am
hamburger wrote:
have heard more than once "you'se guys" - but am not sure how to spell it "correctly" :wink: .
hbg

youse guys.

OK letty, it is regional then.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 05:37 pm
Yaw
Yaw's
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 06:25 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
Yaw
Yaw's

C'mon! Yaws is a tropical disease....not a greeting!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 08:04 pm
excuse me, I speak 2 packs dialect....

whut chewant?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 08:59 pm
Jus wondrin which wona yaw drank all ma dam shine.

----

I can understand the thickest Scottish accent with ease, no matter how fast it is spoken...the dialect of my area is very similar in structure and tempo. I can also follow along with the Australian accent, but speed does have a factor...to my ear they tend to speak an octave or two higher, if it is too high the words can blur together {same with the Irish} and if the person is using too many pure Aussie words/phrases.....{"Wiggy Jillwump"....I just made that one up, but that's what some of the phrases sound like, made up on the spot} they lose me.

But when listening to someone from Massachusetts or Minnesota I have to concentrate very hard.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 11:36 pm
What about us guys from Noo Yawk? You got a problem wit us? Noo Yawkers have some strange ways of saying stuff. The can in I can do that is pronounced differently from there's a can of peas.

I can understand most European accents, and I'm getting better with African accents. I have trouble with Indian accents and some from parts of the British Isles. Go figya.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 12:43 am
Well, most of the New York accents have been and still are fairly prevalent in movies and on tv, so I can follow them...I'm used to them. I've only met one NY'er in real life, but she was from upstate...and she just sounded odd.

I do remember having trouble understanding Travolta during his Saturday Night Fever/Welcome Back Cotter days.

Edit: Just thought of a few more....Debi Mazar and Leah Remini, I do have to focus on them a bit...not that I mind, especially with Leah..such a cutie.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:28 am
People from upstate New York don't have Noo Yawk accents. They have New York accents and sound like people from many other parts of the country.

Saturday Night Fever was set in Brooklyn, a distinct accent. Different from accents in Queens or the Bronx.

They all have something in common, though. They all pronounce New York as Noo Yawk.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 06:40 am
dlowan wrote:
2PacksAday wrote:
Yaw
Yaw's

C'mon! Yaws is a tropical disease....not a greeting!

Yaws was long common among Amerindians of the eastern portion of what is now the United States, especially the southeastern. It is not necessarily just a tropical disease.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 10:47 am
From www.medicinenet.com

Quote:
What is yaws?

Yaws is a remarkably common chronic infectious disease that occurs mainly in the warm humid regions of the tropics. Yaws features characteristic bumps on the skin of the face, hands, feet, and genital area. Almost all cases of yaws are in children under 15 years of age.

What causes yaws?

Yaws is caused by a particular bacterium called a spirochete (a spiral-shaped type of bacteria). The bacterium is scientifically referred to as Treponema pertenue. (A different type of spirochete, Treponema pallidum, is the organism responsible for the venereal disease syphilis).

How does yaws begin?

Yaws begins when the spirochete penetrates the skin at a spot where it was scraped, cut, or otherwise compromised. At the entrance site, a painless bump arises within 2-8 weeks and grows. The initial bump is referred to as the mother yaw. The glands in the area of the mother yaw are often swollen (regional lymphadenopathy). When the mother yaw heals, a light-colored scar remains

The concept of "the mother yaw" may have some figurative significence.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 12:17 pm
At one of the sites I used to belong to, we each made a recording of our voices, and then placed them in a special section...much like a photo gallery....a voice gallery. Most of us had known each other for years, and it was neat to actually get to hear the "real" voice. Of course after hearing the real voice, I would then hear them as I read a persons post, and vice versa.

I've always been fascinated by accents and dialects, so I enjoyed that greatly. But honestly, I lost out on the deal, due to the whole "people with southern accents sound stupid" thing...and it never was the same after.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 08:27 pm
I have a bit of a Scouse accent (Liverpool based). Being from outside the city itself, it's not too strong, so I don't encounter many problems but then I do find it very easy to switch to a more "refined" or gentler speech if necessary. I remember reading quite a bit about the regional accents across the U.K a while back. I think they did a survey involving the perceived funniest, most intelligent, most friendly etc. If I remember correctly the Brummie or Birmingham accent came out the winner for funniest.

Not surprisingly I have no problems understanding the strongest of Liverpool based accents but I understand it is typically difficult for quite a few. I think, within the UK, it seems to be a love-hate accent, people either enjoy it or loathe it. I actually really enjoy listening to the Queen's english or "received pronunciation". We get loads of American shows on TV here these days, though of course I assume the accents we hear are carefully chosen etc, I love the variety all the same. I have a general perception of a generic American accent in my mind, based on tv shows, which for it's cleanly spoken style, sounds calming to me too.

I was speaking to an american a while back who found it strange to be called "mate" as in reference to a friend or just a friendly greeting, I wonder if this will make its way to the US. I hear, when asked how someone is doing, "sound as a pound" in reply a lot in Liverpool, to show the speaker is happy or content etc, it'd be fun to see that take off elsewhere! I think accents and dialects are fascinating too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 08:35 pm
Chai wrote:
Letty wrote:

Letty, I'm sorry to tell you this, but as I have explained before....

Y'all is singular - as in "Ya'll can call me back after 3 and I'll have an answer"

All Y'all is plural - as in "What do All Y'all want for lunch"?

All Y'alls is plural possessive - as in "That's All Y'alls dog, I told you when we got it you kids would have to take care of it"

This is also true in Georgia, from what I heard.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/26/2024 at 10:09:05