General questions for americans

Don1

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 02:48 am
1. when we hear for example that Bill Clinton studied at Oxford university, is that our Oxford university in England or is there an equivalent named university stateside?

2. In England we have had a saying for centuries "in for a penny in for a pound" which in England is self explanatory when used in the proper context, however I've noticed in several american tv programmes that this saying is used which seems odd given that you don't have pennies you have cents and you don't have pounds you have dollars???????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,854 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:07 am
1. Bill Clinton studied at Oxford University in England.

2. We do have pennies. A one-cent coin is a penny. We have the same expression here as in England, In for a penny, in for a pound, because many people here started out in England. I imagine they brought expressions along with them.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:13 am
I thought it was that simple Roberta but thanks for the confirmation :wink:
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:14 am
I wish they were all that simple. Glad to help.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:19 am
Hello,

1) Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University, England for two years before entering Yale Law, New Haven, Connecticut in the fall of 1970.

2) Expressions in English leap over borders and oceans with the greatest of ease. Another example in the same vein as "in for a penny/pound is "Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb." We are neither huge raisers of sheep nor particularly keen on stealing any, but we use the expression.

With time and usage, expressions take on idiomatic meanings and the actual words -penny/pound/sheep/lamb- lose some or all of theirs, in both these cases, in for a little, in for the whole thing has little to do with either money or wooly creatures.

Joe Nation
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:30 am
Thanks Joe, I know it probably seems clear as clear can be, but I've never been fortunate enough to visit America and what may be obvious to you can be a bit of a puzzle for us hicks from the sticks. (In my case Lancashire)

On the plus side if you are ever in our neck of the woods my wife and I can do a blinding Lancashire hot pot Very Happy
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:31 am
#2) I have never heard of any of those expressions before. I live on the west coast of the USA?? Maybe I am missing something Confused
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 03:42 am
You West coasters lost all connections to the Eastern seaboard somewhere in the deserts of Utah -that was a hundred and fifty years ago and your great grandfather was driving the Conestoga.

Joe(it's a wonder we can understand each other)Nation
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 04:33 am
Huh?
I never knew my great grandfather and I have no idea what a Conestoga is.
150 years ago is when the saying was used or is that when we lost connections?
Are you sure we understand each other? or Are you joking? I usually don't get jokes. I even admit it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 04:56 am
TTH- A Conestoga wagon is the sort of vehicle that the American pioneers used when they settled in the west:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conestoga_wagon
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 05:49 am
Thanks Phoenix
Otherwise, a wagon and I hope Joe(I like the way you do this)Nation
was joking then.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 05:52 am
people I only asked about "in for a penny in for a pound" not about covered wagons and the drive west by John Wayne Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 06:07 am
TTH wrote:
Huh?
I never knew my great grandfather and I have no idea what a Conestoga is.
150 years ago is when the saying was used or is that when we lost connections?
Are you sure we understand each other? or Are you joking? I usually don't get jokes. I even admit it.

1. The Conestoga wagon, a covered horse-drawn wagon.

2. Joke: A joke is a small story or riddle that is supposed to be funny and humorous. Jokes can often come across as cheesy or ridiculous though.

Jokes are performed either in a staged situation, such as a comedy in front of an audience, or informally for the entertainment of participants and onlookers. The desired response is generally laughter, although loud groans are also a common response to some forms of jokes, such as puns and shaggy dog stories.

3. Irony, from the Greek εἴρων (eiron), is a literary or rhetorical device, in which there is a gap or incongruity between what a speaker or a writer says, and what is generally understood (either at the time, or in the later context of history). Irony may also arise from a discordance between acts and results, especially if it is striking, and seen by an outside audience.

More generally, irony is understood as an aesthetic valuation by an audience, which relies on a sharp discordance between the real and the ideal, and which is variously applied to texts, speech, events, acts, and even fashion. All the different senses of irony revolve around the perceived notion of an incongruity, or a gap, between an understanding of reality, or expectation of a reality, and what actually happens.

There are different kinds of irony. For example:
Tragic (or dramatic) irony occurs when a character on stage or in a story is ignorant, but the audience watching knows his or her eventual fate, as in Shakespeare’s play Romeo and Juliet.
Socratic irony takes place when someone (classically a teacher) pretends to be foolish or ignorant, in order to expose the ignorance of another (and the teaching-audience, but not the student-victim, realizes the teacher's ploy).
Cosmic irony is a sharp incongruity between our expectation of an outcome and what actually occurs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 06:12 am
Don1 wrote:
people I only asked about "in for a penny in for a pound" not about covered wagons and the drive west by John Wayne Confused

You have cast your questioning bread upon the waters.....and now the flotsam and jetsam is returning to you.

Be happy!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 06:45 am
Quote:
You have cast your questioning bread upon the waters.....and now the flotsam and jetsam is returning to you.

So that's where my breadcrumbs are.

Don--

We're from large countries and we tend to be both discursive and nomadic.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 07:00 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Quote:

So that's where my breadcrumbs are.

Don--

We're from large countries and we tend to be both discursive and nomadic.

Hmmm...I think I was just being a pain in the bum.....but I like your description better.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 07:07 am
I like both of your descriptions.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 07:23 am
Don1 wrote:

Just wait until we start talking about trains and how to keep them on the rails.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 07:39 am
JPB wrote:
Don1 wrote:

Just wait until we start talking about trains and how to keep them on the rails.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2007 01:27 pm
Or Mule Trains and Frankie Laine:

Quote:
Mule train, yeah, yeah.
Mule train: clippetty-clopping over hill and plain.
Seems as how they'll never stop.
Clippetty-clop, clippetty-clop, clippetty, clippetty,
clippetty, clippetty, clippetty-clopping along.

There's a plug of chaw tobaccy for a rancher in Corolla;
A guitar for a cowboy way out in Arizona;
A dress of callico for a pretty Navajo.
Get along mule, get along.

Mule train, yeah, yeah.
Mule train: clippetty-clopping along the mountain chain.
Seems as though they're gonna recah the top.
Clippetty-clop, clippetty-clop, clippetty, clippetty, c
lippetty, clippetty, clippetty-clopping along.

There's some cotton thread and needle for the folks away out yonder.
A shovel for a miner who left his home to wander.
Some rheumatism pills for the settlers in the hills.

Mule train, yeah, yeah.
Mule train: clippetty-clopping through the wind and rain.
They'll keep going till they drop.
Clippetty-clop, clippetty-clop, clippetty, clippetty,
clippetty, clippetty, clippetty-clopping along.

There's a letter full of sadness and it's black around the border.
A pair of boots for someone who had them made to order.
A Bible in the pack for the Reverend Mr Black.

Get along mule, get along. (Mule train.)
Get along, get along.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » General questions for americans
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 07:55:43