Don1

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 03:16 am
I promise not to ask another question Sad
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 05:37 am
Then I've got one for you Don

Why in the british nursery rhyme does it say

a dillar a dollar a 5 o'clock scholar...

when you don't use dollars?

Isn't that a Mother Goose?

ask more questions don, this is fun!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:26 am
Don1 wrote:
I promise not to ask another question Sad

Why not?

Don, you've been around A2K for a while. I'm not sure where you spend most of your time, but the idea of a thread staying on track once the question has been answered is ludicrous. Actually, you're lucky you got an answer before it stated going sideways.

Why the sadness?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:33 am
'Dollar' is the English translation of the German "Thaler".

And 'Mother Goose' was originally a French collection of fairy tales ...
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:51 am
I don't understand Debs or Noddys answers Sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 06:59 am
Don1, don't you recall the first time that you came on A2K and asked about Steptoe and Son and Til Death do us part?

Actually, it's a dillar a dollar a TEN O'Clock scholar and alludes to the importance of being punctual.

Walter, I understand that Germans hold timeliness next to godliness.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:10 am
Hi Letty always good to hear from you Very Happy your memory is obviously better than mine
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:25 am
oh!

You're right letty.

Thanks Walter. I didn't know that about mother goose.

ok don, another one....

it's not about the meaning of a word, but the connotation.

I understand the Brits use the term "rubbish bin" while in the US we tend to say "garbage can"

I word rubbish to my ears sounds more refined, while garbage brings up visions of brown banana peels, egg shells and coffee grounds.
Also, to me at least, the word "trash" (when not applied to trailer trash Smile ) is more like cleaner paper trash, used boxes, etc. I relate trash and rubbish in the same low level of yuckiness.

Do you have various words for your rubbish, and what would they be, with their degree of yuck.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:32 am
Litter comes in my mind, (household) waste ...(I must admit to have heard 'garbage' the first time last year in the USA Embarrassed ).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:34 am
ahh...litter to someone in the U.S. are things people have thrown out in public places. Like bottles and cans on the side of the road.

Litter is of course trash or garbage, but it is used when trying to indicate something is also an eyesore.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:37 am
Don1, isn't there a Brit expression, "A load of old toff" that means garbage?

Didn't know that about Mother Goose either, Walter, but this is interesting about timeliness:

History is even more stern than Emily Post with the hapless laggard. Probably no battle has ever been won by the general who was late. "Time is everything," Lord Nelson said. "Five minutes makes the difference between victory and defeat." The French were kind enough to prove his point a few years later. If the dilatory Marshal Ney had beaten Blucher's Prussians to position at Waterloo, the battle could have ended in a French victory, and Wellington might have taken Bonaparte's lease on the house at St. Helena. Similarly, if Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart had shown up at Gettysburg when he was supposed to, instead of galloping his cavalry hither and yon through the quiet backwoods of Pennsylvania, General Robert E. Lee might have won the Civil War's most crucial battle. Richmond today might be the capital of the Confederate States of America.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 07:39 am
In Germany it is referred to as "garbagestein".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 08:45 am
Another Briticism which one can hear from Americans is "penny wise and pound foolish." Americans don't live in some kind of vacuum--they are aware of other English-speaking societies.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 09:30 am
Setanta wrote:
Americans don't live in some kind of vacuum--they are aware of other English-speaking societies.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 12:30 pm
to make walter more familiar with the word "garbage" , i'm offering an entry from wiki :

Quote:
A garbage disposal or garburator (Canadian English) or waste disposal unit (English) is an electrically-powered device installed under a kitchen sink between the sink's drain and the trap. It shreds food waste into very small pieces so that they can be passed through the plumbing without clogging. Also called a food waste disposal, they are sold in North America under brand names like "Waste King" and "In-Sink-Erator", the largest manufacturer of garbage disposals in North America. In Europe, they have some appeal and more are being installed in modern developments. There are, however, strict regulations on their installation and use in many countries. Some effluent disposal systems are not suitable for use with a kitchen waste disposal unit.

as you can see , canadians have coined their own name for the disposal unit , they call it GARBURATOR - i think it sounds more "scientific" !
hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 01:38 pm
Don--

I was being playful and I'm sorry if I seemed to be deliberately offensive.

Dlowan and I are both from the colonies, the brawling, sprawling colonies and both our bodies and our minds range over vast areas. We don't consider ourselves Off Topic. We think we're Topic Expanders.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 11:39 am
you were not being offensive noddy nor was debs, nice to hear from you both Very Happy
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 11:47 am
I'd always thought the expression was "better to be hanged for a sheep than a goat", not "...than a lamb", but I'd never used it because I had this mental image of a sheep hanging from a noose versus a goat hanging from a noose, and had absolutely no idea what that was supposed to mean, so thanks to whoever it was, Joe Nation?, who cleared up that it meant for STEALING a sheep--go for the good stuff if you're gonna push the bounds, in other words. Decades of misapprehensions cleared up in one quick blast. Who wants a smelly, cantankerous goat, when you can have a nice compliants heep with valuable wool and free lanolin to keep your hands from chapping.

So I googled it, and it's BOTH goat and lamb (much more often lamb, but on the two pages of hits I got, "goat" was the first hit and the last hit--everything else was "lamb").
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 12:55 pm
Litter can refer to a group of animals.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 07:24 am
Quote:
So I googled it, and it's BOTH goat and lamb (much more often lamb, but on the two pages of hits I got, "goat" was the first hit and the last hit--everything else was "lamb").

They both work. Goats are less valued than sheep.

It's nice to know that my Irish grandfather wasn't mis-quoting his Irish grandfather, though my great uncle John was of the opinion that the saying made no sense at all, at all. If you were going to steal something to eat, you'd steal a lamb, something you could butcher, roast and eat in one sitting before the landlord's men found it missing, but he was a practical man who worked the US Western railroads before he got his leg crushed between two grain cars.

A whole sheep would be more difficult to carry, dead or alive, a greater task to cut up properly and, well, it must be said, lamb makes a better stew than mutton. Think of the extra onions, garlic and carrots you'd have to steal to make it taste like more than cardboard.

It made my Nana angry when her men talked about the Irish this way.

Joe(Still, grandad said, if you had a family of ten or more, a sheep...)Nation
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 07:55:24