Lucy

J-B

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 07:13 am
Who is Lucy? Where was Lucy? What was the actual relationship between her and Wordsworth?
It seems William Wordsworth was obsessed with Lucy poems. As I see, she usually took the figure of a deceased lover, or a phantom lass on the moor, a crystallized form of beauty. Yet...

--Yet some maintain that to this day
She is a living child;
That you may see sweet Lucy Gray
Upon the lonesome wild.

O'er rough and smooth she trips along,
And never looks behind;
And sings a solitary song
That whistles in the wind.

Yet this ending of "Lucy Gray" is geuinely beautiful, with that solitary, whistling song...

And yes, I am back. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,107 • Replies: 8
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 07:20 am
Where were you?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 07:29 am
Temporarily lost appetite for the web and withdrew to my own little spider's world weaving my own net...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 07:31 am
That's nice. You are probably now a more well-rounded spider.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 08:32 pm
Good to see you back!

I don't personally have any knowledge of the Lucy stuff, but found a bit for you.

Can you access these urls?

http://www.literature-study-online.com/essays/wordsworth-lucy.html

http://www.pep-web.org/document.php?id=paq.045.0492b

http://www.erudit.org/revue/ron/1999/v/n13/005843ar.html

http://www.bartleby.com/221/0519.html

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/376.html

Sorry I can't help more!

http://prometheus.cc.emory.edu/panels/5B/N.Heringman.html

http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/wwordsworth/bl-wword-lucygray.htm

http://www.answers.com/topic/william-wordsworth
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 05:39 am
I was overwhelmed....

Very Happy

Thank you Dlowan.

In return of your hospitality I send you my report that I have carefully read all the links you provided me with, except for the "prometheus" link which I found would be too long for me to digest. (In fact, I habitually prefer real books with either tender or crusty papers with a handy pen stroking playfully at here and there, to those displayed on the screen...)

There are several links which I find only answer me in the way as if I am asking merely for the dull fact of "Lucy", the fact whether she actually exist or different possibilities concerning her existence. One claimed that Lucy was actually a literal figure widely circulated around a group of people, including Wordsworth. Most maintained that Lucy was closely linked with Dorothy, Wordsworth"s sister. One psychologist (in the second link) even pushed further by pointing out a "death wish" in one of the lucy poems "Strange Fits of Passion" ('"O mercy!" to myself I cried, "If Lucy should be dead!"'.) should "be seen as an attempt to resolve the incestuous tie (with his sister) by removing the forbidden object".

Yet it was the first link that arouse the greatest interest and helped me summarize what I up to now think of Wordsworth. The writer approched the subject not through factual inverstigation of Lucy's "true" identity, but as a general overview of Lucy's poetic identity, character and her significance as an instrument for Wordsworth's ideal in the context of verses. (Which IMO are that only matter.)

I think I could do nothing better by quoting some pieces with my hightlights. (If hightlights could work in the frame of quotation...)

Quote:
After all this, it becomes a little nerve-wracking that 'Lucy' cannot be neatly labelled. Who was 'Lucy'? A beloved mistress? A well-loved child? A friend? Or a figment of the imagination? Some feel the "poems represent an attempt to give literary expression and distance to Wordsworth's feeling of affection for his sister" , Dorothy? The 'Lucy' of these poems is no celebrity. As the poet concedes in 'She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways', she was quiet, unobtrusive, living "unknown",

A Maid whom there were none to praise
And very few to love:

However, Lucy's allure lies in her being the embodiment of Wordsworth's preferred character: solitary, simple, innocent. For William Wordsworth believed that for poetry to continue to please mankind permanently, it had to do with "essential passions" and these were to be found in "humble and rustic life" where they can attain their maturity, are less under restraint, and speak a plainer and more emphatic language; because in that condition of life our elementary feelings coexist in a state of greater simplicity, and, consequently, may be more accurately contemplated, and more forcibly communicated

Lucy is also proof of the transforming power of imagination, voiced through Theseus by Shakespeare as well, that Wordsworth was convinced about. This is the power that exalts Lucy into a luminary. In her Wordsworth puts into practice his own advice: "to throw [...] a certain colouring of imagination, whereby ordinary things should be presented to the mind in an unusual aspect;" Lucy is simple but not crude. She is superlative. In 'Three Years She Grew in Sun and Shower', Nature says

A lovelier flower
On earth was never sown;
In 'She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways' she is delicate-
A violet by a mossy stone

She is matchless in her exquisiteness -

-- Fair as a star, when only one
Is shining in the sky.

And in 'A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal' she is almost ethereal -

She seemed a thing that could not feel
The touch of earthly years.

Another facet of Wordsworth the poet emerges in these 'Lucy' lyrics: that of a lover and bard of nature. If "humble and rustic life" allowed the play of elemental emotions, it is also a state in which "passions of men are incorporated with the beautiful and permanent forms of nature." Inevitably, for a man close to nature who spent hours amidst scenic landscapes, frequently alone, the eye and ear of a lover of nature for detail is evident. Lucy belongs to a world abounding in references to manifestations of nature: Lucy's "cot" under "the sinking moon", the bowers as places of play, the "wayward" rivulet and its murmurings, the "floating clouds" and the turbulent "motions of the Storm". The images of Lucy as a half-hidden shy "violet by a mossy stone", as "Fresh as a rose in June", "sportive as the fawn / That wild with glee across the lawn" are crystal-clear, precise.

Over and above such charming and vivid descriptions, what really stands out is a prevailing 'force' in Nature.
In 'Three Years She Grew in Sun and Shower', it is portrayed as an "overseeing power" that will nurture and educate Lucy. In her will be inculcated grace, dignity, stateliness, peace and beauty; not overtly but by a process of absorbing "By silent sympathy" these values from "mute insensate things". Lucy, as child and student of Nature, will gain qualities lost in the corruption of urban life. Yet there will be a balance between spontaneous, free play of individuality and control, restraint. Nature intends to be "Both law and impulse" unto Lucy. There is spirituality, a supernatural aspect that is only hinted at. It is more a fusing together of spirits, that eventually becomes literal with Lucy's death when she becomes one with Nature wholly - in mind and body - fulfilling in all ways Nature's wish

This Child I to myself will take,

as Lucy becomes in 'A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal'

Rolled round in earth's diurnal course,
With rocks, and stones, and trees.

For all Nature's beauty and beneficence, there is an underlying threat, a note of impending doom. In 'Strange Fits of Passion Have I Known' the "evening moon" seems to reflect the lover's foreboding. The ride to Lucy's cottage is accompanied more by a sense of anxiety than excited expectancy at meeting a beloved. There is a sense of tragedy throughout that one cannot shake off as one reads the poems. It casts its shadow on happier allusions to Nature and the super-naturalness and sublimity of Nature becomes a double-edged sword with its life-sustaining lighter side and a darker side of death. Invariably, the sense of the latter is strongest in moments more removed from the conscious state - in sleep or in dreams. The presentiment of death as a "fond" thought comes to the lover in an eerie moment of near insanity, and the fact that Lucy has "no motion ... no force" hits home while his spirits are 'sealed' by "slumber".

In an April 1799 letter, Coleridge wrote of 'A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal', "Some months ago Wordsworth transmitted to me a most sublime Epitaph ... whether it had any reality, I cannot say. - Most probably, in some gloomier moment he had fancied the moment in which his Sister might die." That just about sums up everything about 'Lucy' in what some consider the pick - and the most cryptic - of the 'Lucy' lyrics: the mystery of 'Lucy', the shadow of death and the sublimity of William Wordsworth's verse.

Thanks Dlowan.

Btw, I was overwhelmed by your ability to find so much information, too...(You googled all of them? Why couldn't I do that?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 08:54 am
Hi, JB!!!

I will re read what you posted later, and comment.

Meanwhile....I thought your government restricts access to many websites, and that these restrictions applied to Google?

That is why I asked if you could access them, as I would have copied any that you were interersted in, and could not access.

There is a plenitude of books about Wordsworth and his poetry, since you prefer books. (I do too.)
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 11:42 pm
dlowan wrote:

Meanwhile....I thought your government restricts access to many websites, and that these restrictions applied to Google?

May not be true in this case. Probably google results differ from place to place or, you simply are better at hunting information. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 11:52 pm
In the mean time, as you all talk about this, there is a scandal in Japan involving a person, Lucy.

I don't know enough to commen on that, but... not good.
0 Replies