I *think* I filed my taxes

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:18 pm
This year I used Turbo Tax.

This year I also filed as a resident, although I'm not really a permanent resident... I do think I'm a resident for tax purposes though. These damn returns get more complicated every year. Next year I'll definitely invest in hiring someone to do it for me.

Not that it took too long. With the turbotax, it was under 2 hours. But I have no idea if i did it right. None. I don't care that much, I did it with best intentions and clean conscience. If they audit my arse, then I'll worry about it.

But. It e-filed and now i'm waiting for the tax return to be accepted. Then I have to sign some form and send it in so they have my signature.

It didn't ask me anywhere to mail in my W-2 and 1099 forms. I guess they would tell me... they really walk you holding your hand step by step in gruesome detail.
But I figured I might as well ask here, don't want to miss anything important, especially if it's something as simple as mailing a piece of paper somewhere.
Anyone filed this way?
Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,976 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:22 pm
Yes, you must scan and post your W2 form here on A2K and I will use your identity to get a nice loan for a house. I've always wanted a house! With a swimming pool!

1099 form, eh? A bit of interest somewhere! Nice one. This means you have a nice fat bank account. Please also post this here and I will help you NOT have interest next year by decreasing your balance substantially.

Talk about leaving it to the last day! I would be having seizures stressing over doing my taxes at the very last minute. I did mine half an hour ago.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:27 pm
Laughing

Not so.

It's 1099MISC form, which means I worked as a consultant and have to fork over taxes now. I thought i'd pay some $ 1,000-2,000, but not so. The turbotax asks you all sorts of questions, and i managed to not only write everything off, i'm even getting $1,026 back! Shocked
but then paying $666 ( Twisted Evil ) to the state. Still, I'm getting money back.... it pays to use home as an office and using own computer and such for work.

musn't grumble. but other than mailing those forms to heeven, do I also need to mail them to the federal and state vultures? i think not. i'm not gonna! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
If you dig hard enoiugh, and deep enough, Turbotax will give it up and show what you actually filed. Then you have a shot at finding out if it did right by you. I messed with it last year and did not have to send in 1099s. In prior years, i telefiled, and again, did not have to send in either 1099s or W-2.

After inspection of what turbotax did, however, I did have to file a 1040x to get the balance of my refund. I didn't realize what happened till I got my etsy bitsy little refund six weeks after filing.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:36 pm
Don't worry, heeven will make sure the proper authorities get your forms. You can trust him completely. You might want to send him your bank account number and that email about the millions you are owed Nigeria.

You don't have to send in your 1099 or W2s when you efile. The government already has that information from your employer or whoever gave you the 1099.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:42 pm
heard something on the radio this morning about the IRS extending the deadline to thursday 4/19, due to the bad weather we've been having of late.

(not sure if this is a nation-wide extension...)
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:43 pm
And rightly so. I am very tired from running the Boston Marathon. I could barely lift the pen to write Dags social security number.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:44 pm
BTW I take a fence to paradises post. I am a 'she'.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:54 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
heard something on the radio this morning about the IRS extending the deadline to thursday 4/19, due to the bad weather we've been having of late.

(not sure if this is a nation-wide extension...)

"IRS Gives April 16 Storm Victims Additional 48 Hours to File Income Tax Returns

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=169523,00.html

Interestingly, in the FAQ at the bottom of that page, the IRS refuses to identify which states are the "northeast". I gues syou are just supposed to wing it. Razz
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:57 pm
Re: I *think* I filed my taxes
dagmaraka wrote:
But. It e-filed and now i'm waiting for the tax return to be accepted. Then I have to sign some form and send it in so they have my signature.

I wonder why you have to sign something and send it in? I've never had to do that. I've used TurboTax for years now (since 1994 or 1995 anyway) and I've e-filed for the last 4 or 5 years and never signed and mailed anything with the efile.

The accepting thing usually takes between 6 and 12 hours. I filed mine last Thursday afternoon and they accepted it at about 10PM.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:58 pm
My CPA promptly filed a request for an extension 2 weeks ago. I suppose my taxes will be filed sometime in May or June.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:17 pm
Re: I *think* I filed my taxes
fishin wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

I wonder why you have to sign something and send it in? I've never had to do that. I've used TurboTax for years now (since 1994 or 1995 anyway) and I've e-filed for the last 4 or 5 years and never signed and mailed anything with the efile.

The accepting thing usually takes between 6 and 12 hours. I filed mine last Thursday afternoon and they accepted it at about 10PM.

...because i was too lazy to find my 2005 tax return... if i dug throug my files and found whatever they were asking for, i could still not sign anything. but i would have to go ALL THE WAY to the basement and look through my file folder (it's clearly marked Taxes 2005) - but the effort that would have to go into that! i was unwilling. just wanted to click my way through.

so the conclusion is that that form is the only thing i have to send in. that's what i though. i have to drop off netflix anyway...that just may work. Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:20 pm
dyslexia wrote:
My CPA promptly filed a request for an extension 2 weeks ago. I suppose my taxes will be filed sometime in May or June.

If you don't owe any taxes, that's ok. But if there's a chance you might have to pay some (and i didn't know if i will or will not have to pay), then you have to figure out how much you have to pay and pay it by 4/17 even if you ask for extension to file.... But if you figure out how much you have to pay, you might as well file, right? Cause how else would you figure it out than through the filing process anyway... Plus, if I extended, i'd be in the same situation of the next deadline day. I'm a deadline day kind of a gal.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 05:45 pm
Heeven wrote:
BTW I take a fence to paradises post. I am a 'she'.

Like I said, when it comes to heeven you can trust "him" completely.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:34 pm
I didn't know if I'd filed my taxes either until I got my returns from the state. I hadn't gotten my returns from the feds, so went back in and realized that I'd somehow missed the last step in the process for that tax return. Either way, the refunds have already come and gone.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:42 pm
are you home now?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:44 pm
er. Yes.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 09:17 pm
dagmaraka

Did you make sure you did not claim as an expense the portion of the computer use related to your posts in A2K? More than 10,000 posts! You should keep track of the time that you took posting here and prorate the computer use over the total hours each year, I hope you knew that?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 10:27 pm
cello wrote:
dagmaraka

Did you make sure you did not claim as an expense the portion of the computer use related to your posts in A2K? More than 10,000 posts! You should keep track of the time that you took posting here and prorate the computer use over the total hours each year, I hope you knew that?

right. it asks for percentage, and so i put down what i estimated. i use my computer for work at about 70% of time, rest is for play. plus, i've been on this site since 2003...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:05 am
Doh! From Boston.com this morning:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/04/18/late_filers_swamp_turbotax_e_file_system/

"Last-minute payers swamp tax servers

By Lisa Leff, Associated Press Writer | April 18, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO --A California company that makes the popular TurboTax and ProSeries tax software said it expected to hear from the Internal Revenue Service Wednesday whether any taxpayers who used its e-filing system would be penalized for submitting late returns.

A flood of last-minute tax filers swamped the servers of Intuit Inc. on Tuesday, causing hours-long delays in getting forms sent in electronically to the government, said Harry Pforzheimer, a spokesman for the Mountain View-based company."
0 Replies