FOR SALE: ONE MAMMOTH SKELETON, SLIGHTLY USED

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:27 am
I was unsure if this should go in "Pets and Gardens," or "Wilderness, Wildlife and Ecology," so i decided that i'd put the story here. The Paris branch of Christie's auction house offered an unusual sale yesterday, selling, among other things, the skeleton of a mammoth which was found in Siberia, a meteorite weighing more than 300 pounds, and also the skeletons of a rhinoceros and a prehistoric bear, thought to be a "cave bear." I have not found an article on this in English yet, but if you can read French, you can read about it here. The mammoth skeleton sold for more than 300,000 Euros when costs and taxes were included (it was knocked down for a bid of 260,000 Euros).

On the radio this morning, i heard that it was bought by an unnamed European collector, who was only described as someone known for collecting art and antique furniture. Furniture ? ! ? ! ? A mammoth skeleton as furniture?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 700 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:31 am
OK, i still can't find anything in English about the results of the sale, but Yahoo News has this story before the event, which describes the strange items which were offered for sale.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:42 pm
What goes with mammoth? Early colonial (really early colonial)? French provincial?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:46 pm
If I only had a bigger living room... Razz
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:52 pm
Quote:
What goes with mammoth?

A fine Puligny Montrachet, served with fried quail eggs, Poutine, and SPAM.
0 Replies