Antique Typewriter? I think?

Roberta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:49 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I dont know how to check ribbon size?
Where / how do I do that?

If memory serves, there is no ribbon size. You bought a ribbon based on a model number.

The way to avoid the keys from jamming when you build up speed is to develop a rhythm.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
That label which reads: "AAA Typewriter Company" doesn't even look as though the address gives a zone number (i can't read it clearly), which, if true might mean it is pre-1959.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1694/dsc0385nw1.jpg

that is as close as I can get to it with out the necessary flash blinding the picture.
I dont see a modern zip code on it either.
Which Embarrassed ( I didnt know zip codes began in the 50's. I thought it was late 1800's )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:16 pm
See where it says "St. Paul 1," and "Minneapolis 3?" Those are zone numbers within Minnesota. So that is pre-1959 at the latest. It might be possible to more closely determine the era from the phone numbers. There is no area code, and the exchanges still use letter abbreviation.

(In the old days, and exchange was the office to which all local phones were connected, and served by one or more operators. So, if someone wanted to use a fake phone number in a comedy skit, they'd say KLondike 5-1234--and KLondike means "55" on a telephone dial.)

The phone numbers are CA 4-7881 and FE 9-3086. If you can find out when Minneapolis-St. Paul stopped using operator-centered exchanges, you could more accurately locate that label in time.

I'll go look up area codes, and find out when they stopped using them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:23 pm
"Crossbar" switching, which allows mechanical rather than human switching in an exchange or between exchanges was (for all that i can learn in a quick search) delayed by World War Two, and then began to be implemented by local telephone companies in the 1940s and 1950s--so that's really no help. Those exchanges might have been in use in Minneapolis and St. Paul as late as 1959, so the phone numbers aren't really any help.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:24 pm
I can picture pretty much exactly where those addresses are, especially the Cedar one. A nice frame store is pretty close to there now I think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:25 pm
(Yes, I know that's profoundly unhelpful, just musing aloud... :-))
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:26 pm
I found this -

http://www.geocities.com/wbd641/PortablesIndex.html

and in it, a page just about the Royal

http://www.geocities.com/wbd641/Royal.html

Mine looks just like the second one down on the right hand side.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:27 pm
which falls right in line with the pre-1959
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:28 pm
sozobe wrote:
I can picture pretty much exactly where those addresses are, especially the Cedar one. A nice frame store is pretty close to there now I think.

It would be amazing, and almost worth a trip if the store that made the typewriter was still there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:28 pm
sozobe wrote:
(Yes, I know that's profoundly unhelpful, just musing aloud... :-))

CA is an abbreviation for an exchange name, and so is FE, just like KL 5 is an abbreviation for Klondike 5, which means "555." Can you think of what the abbreviations mean?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:31 pm
That second link is for portables--is yours a portable?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:35 pm
hmmm.. Im not sure how to determine that?

What makes it portable?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:36 pm
Here it is again, http://www.mytypewriter.com/ProductImages/RO_Port_Quiet_Delux_M.jpg

on a website that shows one that looks just like mine, and are calling it a portable.

http://www.mytypewriter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=40
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:39 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
hmmm.. Im not sure how to determine that?

What makes it portable?

It is not as tall, as wide or as heavy as standard console model, AND it comes with a carrying case.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:41 pm
Looking at that site I just found out that we still use (sometimes at least) typewriters sold for nearly $400 each Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:43 pm
That second link, combined with the lack of a zip code on the store ID plate pin it down to the period 1941-1959. There was a hiatus from 1941 to 1946 when they weren't manufactured. If you can get a serial number, and a model number, than an expert can tell you exactly how much it is worth. The serial number could tell you if it were manufactured in 1941, before Royal converted to ordnance manufacture, and if so, it might be worth more than other garden variety 1940s portables. Do you have a serial number plate on the machine? I didn't see one.

Well . . . geeze . . . turn it over an look ! ! !
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:50 pm
with out using any tools, i see absolutly nothing that looks like a number of any kind.
In fact the only markings i see are the ones that I took pictures of

im still searching..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:53 pm
This site (go to >Brand Name) has a serial number database.

Quote:
Royal

The Royals to look for are the #1, #5, and Standard. These are office machines with an unusual, low profile and a keyboard that looks like it's emerging from a staircase (collectors call these the "flatbed" models). They are worth around $50-$200 depending on condition (usually they are in poor shape). Many older Royal office typewriters are model 10 (usually not marked as such); the earlier ones have glass windows on the sides (pretty although useless). Value depends on condition -- anywhere from zero to $100. The Royal portables are fun, but not worth much (about $30). Finally, if your machine says "Royal Grand," you have found a very rare item that's the most valuable model of this make.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:01 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
with out using any tools, i see absolutly nothing that looks like a number of any kind.

Try lifting the cover over the keys, as you would probably have to do to replace the ribbon. Often the serial number and model number can be found on the inner side of the key cover, which should rise on hinges.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:04 pm
OK, i looked at your picture again. You would have to lift the cover to replace the ribbon, so look under the key cover. Also, the platen (the round, rubber roller through which you roll the paper you will type on) should be easy to remove--platens are made to be removed, and that is true even with contemporary electronic typewriters. You could try lifting the cover to look for a model and serial number, or look in the platen tray under the platen.
0 Replies