Did The Father Kill His Children?

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:17 pm
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/194/region/Authorities_focusing_search_fo:.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,310 • Replies: 19
No top replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:36 pm
oh, no way, NH, I'm certain his cross-country trek was the same as OJ and Scott Peterson searching for "the real killers" ... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:45 pm
The mother of the two kids is pregnant with twins right now and is heart-broken about the missing children.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 09:48 pm
It doesn't explain how the children suposedly got lost.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 08:12 am
The police think the kids were murdered and now have the father in custody. They think the bodies may be found in the MidWest.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 08:14 am
Montana wrote:
It doesn't explain how the children suposedly got lost.

Kids are missing, and not thought to be lost.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 08:14 am
What sort of a monster could harm his own children?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 08:15 am
That's what I'd like to know.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 08:58 am
We are surrounded by evil everywhere we look.

Show me another one!! I've only called three things evil so far today so I'm just getting warmed up.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 11:49 am
The poor mother must be in total agony!
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 01:02 pm
The main thing that doesn't make sense to me - he's had custody of the daughter and just got custody (maybe joint?) of the son. What would be the point? They were living with him....

I don't know. I guess I'm just confused because normally it's a parent that doesn't have custody that does things like this - "If I can't have them, you can't either."

I think this is another classic case of the media knowing a lttle bit and creating a frenzy over speculation. Even if it's true, putting "Murder" on the front page without bodies is irresponsible, even if there is supporting evidence. This didn't occur with other missing children - Elizabeth Smart, Molly Bish, etc.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 11:39 pm
Sugar
I agree. Calling it murder before finding the bodies is seriously premature. I can't for the life of me see how any parent can kill their children! It's a total mystery to me!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 06:39 am
The police seem to know much more than, they're telling the press and the public.

His credit card indicates he bought a shovel along the route to California. Why did he do this?
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 08:29 am
I'm not saying he didn't kill them, I'm just saying that, once again, the media is mishandling information and making bad headline judgement calls. Big surprise, I know....
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 06:06 pm
It's the art of journalism.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 07:55 pm
If you want to call it an "art"!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:07 am
Buying a shovel doesn't look too good for the guy either. Seems to me that I don't remember hearing so much about these parents killing children and children killing parents when I was younger. I think there is far too much stress in the world these days. Not that I think there is any excuse for any of it, but something is seriously wrong in the world these days.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:49 am
I agree, Montana! Some contributing factors (random thoughts):

1) Media is far larger, pushy, manipulative, and sensational these days. *Billions* of people are told how to be, more than ever before.

2) The issues and stresses that each successive generation has to face are outrageous, as compared to their parents.

3) We teach people to freak out and go berserk. There are no other stories published, so there are no other options placed into our minds.

4) With media saturation, fast work, complicated issues, and sensory overload, people lose sight of their own humanity. Without family or genuine relationships to anchor them, everything in life becomes a shopping mall. Kids a problem? Return them. Emotions a problem? Cancel your subscription. Bills mounting? Treat them like any other object, and destroy the problem rather than dealing with it.

What would it take for our society to focus on the human-ness of everyday life, and have people connect and care for each other? A profit. There would have to be money involved, otherwise no company or group could take it on.

With all the whining and gossip that people will indulge with this story, do you really think any individual in the country will approach the wife, husband or other family members, and be with them during a crisis? People are on their own, as never before.

Neighbors used to keep in touch and help each other. Now it's more about gossip, pointing fingers, and buying the next edition of the shocking newspaper so we can know how very good we are -- by how very bad other people are. But on a personal/spiritual/emotional level people can tread water for only so long.

I keep asking everyone I know: What would you, yourself, like to do to help people who are drowning?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 03:09 am
SkisOnFire
I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I don't see things changing for the better. I moved to the country in Canada 3 years ago after spending my life in the city (Boston area) and the difference is like night and day. There still are places that are easier to live in, but I fear that the day will come where every place will be the same. Before I moved I had more stress than I could handle, yet now my life is stress free. This is what brought me to making the statement I made earlier about stress. Of course I never even dreamed of hurting my child, but I do remember how trapped and controlled I felt and was. I felt like I was in prison with no way out and the feeling of desperation was overwhelming, so I tend to wonder if some people get so overwhemed that they just snap. I know the media loves a good story and blows things up as much as they can these days and it's very depressing to say the least.
It's a shame that we can't bring the world back to the basics, such as getting rid of cars that cause so much polution, etc... I'd love to go back to the horse and buggy days, although most people wouldn't share that thought with me. Where I live now people still help eachother and everyone knows everyone for miles around and I love that. I just wish the whole world could be so peaceful.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 03:17 am
Another thought that crosses my mind is that so many people are medicated these days that I wonder if there's a link there. Seems that everyone has some kind of so called disorder these days that the shrinks say need to be treated. Everything is a money racket even in the medical field.
0 Replies