The taxman cometh

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:22 am
Tax day is April 17th this year. An extra two days to get my taxes filed. BUT, in an effort to not put myself up against an impossible wall (I'll be out of town next weekend) I'm going to start doing my taxes today.

10 whole days to get my taxes filed! Not since 1985 have I given myself 10 whole days to do my taxes. I'm amazing myself.

The software is downloading (one hour and counting) and by noon I should have all of the statements I received back in January stacked and ready to open. In the meantime, I think I'll go make some tea - you can't rush into these things.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,130 • Replies: 25
No top replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:25 am
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:33 am
I have Turbo Tax at the ready. In past years, my husband would never use it. Claimed that our return is too complicated. (It isn't) I think that I have gotten him to the point where he will attempt to use it (with me filling everything in).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:40 am
Yep, TaxCut here too. Sam always takes a big bite out of our asses, but I play the fine line game of trying to withhold 90% of our tax burden in order to avoid penalties and then expect to pay a full 10% in April.

Phoenix, you'll love using a software package. Both TurboTax and TaxCut are good programs. I switched over to TaxCut when Intuit made a marketing blunder a few years ago. They've removed the goofy registration requirements that caused so much grief, so either program is a good tool.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:45 am
Our taxes are pretty straightforward, we do 'em "by hand" or whatever it would be called if we don't use a program. I think we're both paranoid enough that we'd have to double-check if we used a computer program, anyway. We did a draft already -- our final version is rarely different from the draft -- but have to FINISH. Trying to do so this weekend, too. (It's so stupid, we did the draft as soon as we had all the documents -- early February, I think -- and there's no reason we had to wait this long to finish. Hmph.)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:47 am
sozobe wrote:
(It's so stupid, we did the draft as soon as we had all the documents -- early February, I think -- and there's no reason we had to wait this long to finish. Hmph.)

There's a reason alright. CAUSE WE HATE DOING THEM!! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:49 am
There is that! Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:54 am
The last year I did my taxes by hand I spent days filling out worksheets to calculate what percentage of this and that I was eligible to take as a deduction, whether or not we had to pay AMT, as well as filling in various account numbers and addresses for dividends and investment returns.

The first time I did it with a program it took most of a weekend to get the software installed and updated, all the personal information and account numbers organized and loaded, and complete 6 tax returns (I file separate returns - state and federal for each of the girls).

In subsequent years I didn't need to enter any personal info or account info (unless there was a new account). My tax returns now take a few hours - once I've got the program installed and my paperwork collected.

I wouldn't go back to doing it by hand for love nor money.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:55 am
CPA
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:58 am
I did my taxes online in February, got my refund, spent it, practically forgot about it all now.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:01 am
Tax Cut is less than 30 bucks. A CPA is how much?

Now, if that CPA came to my house and gathered my paperwork along with actually doing the taxes then, that might be worth the price.

(Actually, I come from a family of accountants and have always done my own taxes but I can truly appreciate not wanting to be bothered and tossing it over to someone else.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:10 am
Yeah, my father was an independent small business accountant and did taxes for all sorts of mom&pop operations as well as individual returns. He would flip out when someone showed up with a year's worth of documents and receipts all thrown into a shoe box for him to sort through and organize before completing the returns.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:14 am
JPB wrote:
Yeah, my father was an independent small business accountant and did taxes for all sorts of mom&pop operations as well as individual returns.

So was mine! By now, April 7, his office would look like a hospital emergency room on a Saturday night.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:16 am
Heh! And they shared a love for the bottle too - maybe there's a correlation Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:31 am
I've just loaded last year's returns - last updated 4/13/06. That's much closer to my typical approach.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:31 am
JPB wrote:
Heh! And they shared a love for the bottle too - maybe there's a correlation Laughing

Oh yeah!

This time of year we'd always breathe a sigh of relief because from January until April 15, he wouldn't drink. Not even a drop. But April 16...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:38 am
I did my taxes in january. The refunds are long gone.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:44 am
Doesn't that feel like you came to the party early and left too soon? Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:47 am
I usually end up crying in my beer - not exactly my idea of a party.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:27 am
eoe, not really. I'm used to it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The taxman cometh
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 10:30:35