Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 12:46 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,180 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:50 am
If you have a rodent issue, then get a terrier. They might also be better for her as they're smaller, but keep in mind that they can be very busy, hyper dogs. If she'd prefer more of a couch potato, greyhounds can be good, and you're also rescuing a dog, which has its own rewards.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:15 am
Get her a Barbie doll:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94262&highlight=
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:35 am
Hyper dogs would drive her batty, I never knew greyhounds were couch potatoes. I still have to warm her up to the idea of a new dog somehow, maybe a plastic dog eating plastic poop would help. That's pretty weird & funny!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:38 am
I'd play up the rescue dog thing. Appeal to her maternal instincts.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:44 am
One of the first things she said to me 10 years ago was "I hate kids cars and pets". Example: if I was to gentlemanly offer to help her in some endeavor the chances are really good, even if she's struggling, she'll say "no I'm saving my favors".

She's not much of a mush-ball, appealing to her softer side would likely just net me "the look"!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:46 am
hahaha.... I see.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 12:15 pm
If that's the way she feels about it, the only way she's likely to be amenable to the idea is if this is your dog and your dog only, I'm thinking.

We're not disinclined to pick up the sh!t of an animal we can't stand and then feed it so it can make more sh!t.

Some folks in my family are violently anti-pet. Others have tried to make them pro-pet, and it just doesn't happen.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 12:34 pm
The strange thing with her is that although she is not pro-pet she's hyper-responsible, so she will often take the dog for a walk, do a first strike on poo pickup, worry if I have fed the dog, chide me for overfeeding the dog (in her mind I overfeed the dog not in reality).

It's kind'a weird even though the understanding has always been that they are my pets and my pets only, as you suggest.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 12:42 pm
It's kinda sad to think of a dog person not having a dog any more.

Though there certainly would be a lot more freedom, in a lot of ways...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 01:24 pm
I dunno Chumly. My husband is allergic too, so that's an extra layer, but I've been hoping that I might convince him to get a dog for a good 15 years now, to no avail. I've been aware throughout that it might not get anywhere and that was an acceptable outcome -- if it wasn't I wouldn't have married him. But he still hasn't budged, and I've brought out the heavy artillery.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 01:32 pm
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 04:56 pm
Re: Puppy Dogs & Old Wife's Tales
Chumly wrote:

Try bringing home acute little ole puppy and she will either melt or throw you and the puppy out!
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:11 pm
I dunno if this helps...

After me and my X were together for a couple of years, he really started the whole let's-get-a-dog thing. Now I love animals, but I also believe they are a big responsibility. I was against it because of our jobs and some other reasons, I can't remember.

We discussed it for some time until I came to the realization that he wanted a dog more than I didn't want a dog.

We got the puppy. I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night and things worked out well. Yeah, I fell for her. Course he has the dog now and I hardly ever see her...

but anyways, It comes down to compromise. Who wants what more and how much it really matters?

Another story, that probably doesn't help at all... When I was 12, My Dad called my Mom, he wanted to bring home this poor little pup that was a door prize no one wanted. She said no (she had good reasons) I knew none of this... I got off the bus and started walking up the long drive and my Dad stops to pick me up, when I opened the car door, there was an adorable little pup on the car seat. It was love at first sight, and my Mother never had a chance... Course, then, I was the one to get up in the middle of the night...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:49 pm
I've been using this trick since second grade....

"MOM! Look what followed me home!!!!!!"

Maybe you could "accidentally" find a dog on one of your walks.

I'd do that now since I want another dog but Mr. B and I share a bank account and I can't find a nice free puppy.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:41 pm
Really?
There always seems to be a nice free dog around here...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 11:16 pm
I'm watching two hours of back to back Sopranos on the tube while my old dog waits for another cookie from my pocket. Wouldn't be the same if I did not have a dog as a TV foot pillow......
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 11:22 pm
Chumly wrote:
I'm watching two hours of back to back Sopranos on the tube while my old dog waits for another cookie from my pocket. Wouldn't be the same if I did not have a dog as a TV foot pillow......

Did you see the first Sopranos Sunday nite? Man I know what you mean about your buddy. I have two from the Humane Society. They are 9 years old. I'm alone too.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 11:33 pm
I guess I missed the Sunday night show. Dogs & TV make a fun combo, especially after working hard in the yard like today.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 11:47 pm
you can see the first episodes replayed. My dog Tuffy helps with yard work by eating pine cones.
0 Replies