Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
HOPE THIS HELPS
http://www.archtrees.com/nwsltr_3a.pdf

PG 2
0 Replies

nada12

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 04:25 pm
Japanese Maple with freeze damage

After reading all of your posts, I feel a little better and somewhat hopeful about my japanese maple trees surviving after the frost we had here in bham this past weekend. However, my trees look absolutely horrible (limp and lifeless!). I have a question, though....is it best to simply leave the limp/dead leaves on there and hope new ones sprout out, or do you cut/remove the damaged leaves off instead? Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 04:28 pm
Where's Green Witch, I bet she knows...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 04:31 pm
Good question, nada, I'm curious about that too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 08:09 pm
Leave the trees alone--they've been stressed enough.
0 Replies

atoms

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 06:41 am
Re: HOPE THIS HELPS

Thanks. Actually I think the info we need is on Page 3.

Either way it said that most maples have a secondary set of buds that will emerge but not be as good as "vigorous" as the first set.

I am taking from that, that we should get new leaves, but not as many.

I'll take what I can get at this point.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 06:51 am
I've read that one of the main problems with a freeze is that the plant can't get enough liqud water so during a freeze, and until it rains again, I'll give luke-warm water to stressed plants. They don't seem to mind.

(However, I'm from the Pacific NW and what I consider to be a freeze is just a light frost according to that temperature chart.)
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:08 pm
The worst part about the weather is its effect on the grass! Specifically the grass on the golf course! All this cold weather is going to ruin the first few weeks of golf season. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 04:29 pm
Didn't check until today but, one japanese maple has wilted leaves while the other looks fine. The leaves on the dogwoods are edged in brown, also the oak trees, all of which had leaved out pretty nicely. But, the hostas, the roses and other things are okay. I was at Lowe's the other day and overheard people talking about the flowers and veggies they had planted and lost during the freeze last weekend. It had been in the 70's and 80's for weeks!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
I know, I went to a friend's house the week before Easter, he was showing off all of the stuff he'd planted -- I mean, a LOT -- and I was thinking of saying, "um, isn't it kind of early?" but he's a better gardener than I am and it just seemed snotty -- he lost everything, of course.

Southerngentleman, actually the grass is the one bright spot. Looking good.

The lilacs seem to be bouncing back, which is a surprise. Magnolia leaves and Japanese Maple leaves are done for, waiting for them to drop and hoping there will be new ones.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:52 pm
The National Weather service warns that on Sunday there may be "significant" accumulations of snow in the Poconos.

I am not amused.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:54 pm
It never ends!!

It's sunny and 50's right now... I'm scared to check the weather.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:55 pm
OK, there is "rain/snow" in the forecast for tomorrow and Sunday, but lowest low in the next week or so is 36, with temps getting warmer again starting Monday.

That I can deal with.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 03:12 pm
the rule in eastern-ontario used to be :
do your planting of frost-prone plants over the "victoria day long weekend" - that's the middle of may !
of course , we planted earlier and earlier ...
perhaps we are back to planting victoria day weekend !
my parents arrived for a visit from germany on may 6 , 1966 and on the way back from montreal it started to snow !!!
my mother was ready to hop on the next ship going back Shocked
hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:19 am
Must Tulips Wither as the Climate Changes?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm
Soz--

Interesting link.

I've been noticing more and more early moths--sometimes as many as three in a night. Since moths only survive 24 hours, perpetuating a mutation involves a male and a female both being out-of-season in the same place.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:20 pm
since the population is so huge on these "ephemeral" species, genetic drift can handle adaptation to changing climates. Dont worry about your moths. BTW, why are you worrying about your moths?

My peas are about an inch or two high. I put ozmocote in the soil withem and I planted em in big circles within cages this year. Its an experiment to try to get larger yield by making them more competitive and leggy .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:46 pm
farmerman wrote :

Quote:
My peas are about an inch or two high. I put ozmocote in the soil withem and I planted em in big circles within cages this year. Its an experiment to try to get larger yield by making them more competitive and leggy .

WOW !
next farmerman will threaten his peas with outsorcing peas to china , that'll teach them to become "competitive" :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:59 pm
Laughing good one.
0 Replies