Tennesse Ostrich

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:40 am
I bought one the other day because it says it is good in deep shade.

Hmm.. deep shade meaning , INDOOR shade? or outdoor shade?

In texas that is a big diffrence.
Out door shade includes humidity, and some direct light , but as little as possible.
Indoor means room temp light window sun, no humidity.

What abou soil?
Good 'ole basic planting soil?

All of the directions on the package just say " Dig a hole 1/2 foor deep and plant. Cover with soil and water thoroughly" Confused well.. duh .

Fertilizer?
anything.. ?

What I would like to see for this fern is to be a really nice BIG plant that can rest on the corner of my fireplace that gets about 2 hours of light sun.
It is a perfect place for a large green fern, and since it offers very little light, I think this might work for that spot..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,559 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Tico

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 06:14 am
Shocked I'm so glad you said "fern" in the last paragraph -- I was getting kinda worried about what you're doing to that poor bird.

Because their natural habitat is usually a forest, ferns generally need lots of water, lots of humidity and filtered sunlight. But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 06:28 am
HA!

I dunno.. that corner by my fireplace is at least 7 feet high.
that bird could sit still for his entire life there.. talk about spoiled! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:58 am
Sounds like all of the instructions are for outdoors. Outdoor deep shade can still mean some direct sun, just not much of it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:19 am
Yes, it's an outdoor plant, it won't thrive indoors.
But this one here will, and it doesn't matter if the indoor place is darker

http://butlersnursery.com/spathiphyllum/images/Spathiphyllum-Sweet-Laurett.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 01:43 pm
So, to pot my fern, it would need more direct sun then I think?

Maybe.. 4 hours? ( sun from the window of course) I couldnt leave it outside on the patio. The wood heats from the sun too much and could burn it.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 02:44 pm
The problem with common names, like Tennessee Ostrich Fern is that the same name can be used for totally different plants. Do you know if your fern is Athyrium pycnocarpon or Matteuccia struthiopteris? If you know, then you can google the name and get some better info.

For want of anything better, I think your best bet is:

- rich loam planting medium
- keep medium uniformly moist but watch for root rot
- locate by a bright window (what seems like a bright room inside is still darker than a shady outdoor area), but with sheers or something to filter direct sunlight
- mist daily (crunchy brown tips will tell you that it needs more moisture, yellowing leaves indicate too much water, generally speaking). You can increase the ambient humidity by double potting (smaller pot with loam & fern sunk into a large pot) with damp peat between the 2 pots.
- hope that the smart people will show up on this thread (calling ossobuco and Green Witch)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 02:54 pm
Diplazium (Athyrium) pycnocarpon Glade Fern

A largely tropical genus of 400 species closely related to Athyrium, Diplazium pycnocarpon is one of the few temperate species native to moist woodlands in the eastern United States. It is also commonly known as Narrow Leafed Spleenwort or Tennessee Ostrich fern, elegant narrow once pinnate fronds can reach 3 ½' if happy, an attractive fern that spreads slowly and is generally easy to cultivate.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:06 pm
You need to try to replicate their normal environment - rich loam, deep shade under trees, protection from intense heat.

Are there any parks near you where you can get into a woodlot and look at how the native ferns grow? They can be fussy in the wrong setting.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:48 pm
Oh !! I .... erm .... okayyyy .... this is not, erm, The Ornithological Dating Site? oop, ne'mind ...

<<waddles away, head down>>
0 Replies