Jumbo Brand Western Saddles

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 05:49 pm
I doubt this is the proper place for this post but it seems to be the closest thing to it since it at least deals with animals. Laughing

Recently, my husband purchased an old Jumbo Brand western saddle. It has some identifying numbers on it and I am interested in locating some history on the saddles. I have found some very limited information on the net and I am obviously not typing in the more pointed search words. I would appreciate any help I can get. I have found two sites that we can purchase a CD of catalogs from. One from 1924 and one from 1930. We are thinking the saddle was made in 1932, as 32 are the last two numbers on the saddle (just guessing of course).

I would appreciate any and all help on this!

roger

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 07:10 pm
You might pm to Dyslexia on this one. I promise he'll know more than I.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 07:11 pm
Well, he's certainly not going to know less.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 11:00 pm
Hey Roger! How are you? Thanx! I bet Dys would know something about this topic. I appreciate it!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 06:07 am
Jumbo brand saddles are well made roper saddles, the pre 1940 are collectors, used to be very popular with 4 H cause they tend to be dressy, they sit well with most horses. I always prefered the Mcclland style but Jumbo are very nice if in excellent condition.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:34 am
Thanx Dys. I did find two pages on the net from a CD company that has two catalogs to The Schoellkopf Company (they made them) that started out (around 1869) using the White Elephant brand then in about 1902 they changed it to Jumbo Brand.

http://www.cabincreekcds.com/Schoellkopf25.htm

http://www.cabincreekcds.com/Schoellkopf30.htm

The saddle that Johnny purchased is beautiful and it's in really good condition. It is missing the strap that covers the stirrup, judging from the pictures I have found, but the leather is in excellent shape and there seems to be no rot.

Do you know if there is a way to find out when the saddle was made? There are some numbers stamped into the saddle but I haven't been able to match them up to anything I've found so far. I am still trying to search the net but I am just not coming up with much at all. Very brief things about the company and that's about it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 02:06 pm
I was really hoping someone could help me out with this. I can't find much at all. The library wasn't much help. Does anyone have any idea how I would go about finding the history of companies? I tried googling the company name with the word history but found pretty much zip.

Thanx!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 02:17 pm
Have you looked at this

http://www.tom-stevens.com/Antique/AntiqueSaddles.html

They're looking for a very particular Jumbo saddle that used to belong to Ross Perot's father, and have this Jumbo for sale

http://www.tom-stevens.com/Antique/RaineyJumbo/RaineyJumbo.html

They seem quite knowledgeable - could probably help you search.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:40 pm
Thank you so much Ehbeth! I'll let you know what I find out!
0 Replies

klynn74

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:35 pm
Jumbo Saddles
My Stepdad has a jumbo saddle also and is looking to find out it's value. If anyone has any information that would be helpful I would appreciate it. My name is Kristi and my email is [email protected]
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:21 am
Do you have any idea what year the saddle was made?
0 Replies

mocowboy68

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:35 pm
@dyslexia,
would you have any idea when they came out with a kim shoulders signature seires saddle & how much the where. i just traded for 1 in exllent con.
mocowboy68

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:46 pm
@mocowboy68,
jim shoulders jumbo ... sorry about the typo
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:28 pm
I found this site:

http://www.western-saddle-guide.com/gallery-antique-saddles.html

I am going to email them and see if they can help with info.
0 Replies

jinks

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:54 pm
@Arella Mae,
I too have an old Jumbo saddle by the Schoellkopf Co. that my parents bought for me in 1958. I have been told that I am the third owner. My parents bought it from my sistor-in-laws family and they had gotten it from another family in the tiny town I was raised. It is a youth's saddle with a smaller set and has a tin or zink plated metal covering over the sturrip that is orignal. It most closely resembles #49 of the web site of the 1930 ad for the CD's.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 10:52 pm
@jinks,
jinks,

Does it have the elephant on it? Originally, the jumbo saddles used an elephant as a logo (might not be the correct word). If it does, I can tell you that saddle is worth a great deal of money. If I remember correctly they stopped putting the elephant on them a long time ago so the saddles with the elephant are very rare.
crazylilady1369

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 06:48 pm
@jinks,
I seen your posting with regards to the Jumbo saddle w/the elephant symbol on it. I have one in great condition and trying to find out how much it's worth. You seem like you have knowledge on this would matter and I was wondering if you would be able to direct me to a web site that could provide what this is worth?
Mike Riley

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:43 am
@crazylilady1369,
I also have a jumbo roper that my dad bought used and gave me in 1955. It has the elephant on it and the metal on the sturrips. It has a 14 in seat.It is in good shape and I am wondering what its value is.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 07:05 am
@Arella Mae,
http://www.vintagegunleather.com/shoppe/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=339

If you are willing to spend $60- , these people seem to be able to find what you are looking for. Click "Information Request"
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 11:20 am
@Phoenix32890,
I will show this to my husband. He might be willing to find out. I know he's not going to sell the saddle but he is curious about it and I just can't find out that much about it. Thank you.