Saturn has this hexagon.....

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 03:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
I think the Eeties just get bored, and make up **** like this to mystify us, and then crack up at the response.

In effect, Miss Wabbit, they think we're suckers . . .

Gimme a nice enough biottle, I'll suck.

I'm a wondering what sort of grub is growing in the middle of that thing....
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 11:36 am
Interesting that there is also a smaller circle. Some sort of resonance effect I suppose.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 12:42 pm
Well I think It is going to occur naturallly in situations where you have an otherwise circular thing that has some surface tension or coherence and undergoes expansion or contraction because the edges want to remain in contact, and by going hexagonal the edges can remain close with lesser area
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:07 am
Here's another naturally occuring hexagon from the world of sub-Atomic physics:

http://www.psychovision.ch/rfr/q_aq_sxt.jpg
0 Replies

pswfps

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:21 am
It is known as the 'meson octet.' The class of particles known as mesons vary from each other in only two quantum states: isospin and hypercharge. When the particle states are related to each other in a 2D chart, the hexagon and other geometries emerge. x-axis = isospin, y-axis = hypercharge. Cool huh?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 04:15 am
Cool.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:15 pm
Either a signal of some sort, or something we do not understand about physics. Even my weirdest friends do not have a theory for this one.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:20 pm
pswfps - that is great!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:31 pm
pswfps, that is not a hexagon...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:38 pm
stuh505 wrote:
pswfps, that is not a hexagon...

Huh?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:47 pm
Stuh is right. It's a bunch of triangles and some circles.

(No Idea what either of these guys are talking about, but Saturn is cool!)
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:05 pm
A hexagon is characterized by having flat sides. If there are only 8 particles evenly spaced at a constant radius, that is a circle. In order for it to be a hexagon there would need to be particles spaced in-between those 8 that were on a chord. Otherwise, the only thing that is hexagonal is the convex hull, which is an entirely human concept. This is also assuming that the 8 particles in that figure are actually coplanar in nature, which I am not sure of, since it is typical to flatten out 3d structures for diagrams..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:25 pm
stuh505 wrote:
A hexagon is characterized by having flat sides. If there are only 8 particles evenly spaced at a constant radius, that is a circle. In order for it to be a hexagon there would need to be particles spaced in-between those 8 that were on a chord. Otherwise, the only thing that is hexagonal is the convex hull, which is an entirely human concept. This is also assuming that the 8 particles in that figure are actually coplanar in nature, which I am not sure of, since it is typical to flatten out 3d structures for diagrams..

Oh.

Thank you.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:35 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Everybody knows that...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:38 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
Everybody knows that...

Aha.

So...tell us something like that that you know.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:43 pm
(snicker)

Stuh said coplaner.

(snort)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:04 pm
dlowan wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
Everybody knows that...

Aha.

I just thought that was funny when Region said it on another thread.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:51 pm
Actually, they're just trying to one up that really weird planet.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6065/pentagonwo4.th.jpg
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:21 pm
Yeah, that one planet sure is a statistical anomaly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:27 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
dlowan wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
Everybody knows that...

Aha.

I just thought that was funny when Region said it on another thread.

I know.

I was just calling and raising...
0 Replies