My dog's too damn smart for his own good!

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:34 am
Ok...so my dog (who is an australian shepherd by the way) has not only figured out that he can open the cubbord containing the cat and dog food but he figured out that if he stood on his hind legs he could reach things in the sink and beyond. I came home the other night to find that he had gotten up on the counter and eaten two completely full bags of brand new fresh out of the bakery chocolate chip cookies. There had to be at least 50 cookies combined. Not to mention, he took out the cat food bag and ate the entire 4 lb bag. He waited to throw up till we came home so that we could see him throw up on the carpet...and his throw up was exactly what it looked like...cat food and chocolate chip cookies. Guess I have to be smarter than the dog next time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 745 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 04:03 am
Definitely move the chocolate out of the way as it can be toxic to dogs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 04:43 am
Need to bar the dog from the kitchen some way.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 05:53 am
This is common in herding breeds, they are very smart and agile. Keep food in cabinets and put baby safety locks on the doors. Never leave food out and unattended or you might end up with a very sick or even dead dog.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:18 am
Thats one very smart dog. Notice how he ate the cat food? He'ssmart enough to know that if he ate all the dog food there would be no dog food left for tomorrow for him

What breed did you say? Australian shepherd...ah that would explain it then.

Have you checked the beer supply lately?

Seriously though, this dog is bored because of his high intelligence and high social skills he needs to be interacting with his pack (you).

Discipline through obedience training may help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 10:15 am
Yup. Australian Shepherds are one of the breeds that need "work" to do. They need lots of training, walks, activity. They can do quite well in dog sports like agility - and they need their brain to be positively stimulated.

They can get into a lot of trouble if they're bored - including eating things that can kill them. Cat food is quite dangerous for dogs, as can quantities of high cocoa content chocolate.

Australian Shepherds are not stay-at-home dogs.
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 04:38 pm
I wish I could prevent him from entering the kitchen but it's impossible, my kitchen is comepletely open, there is no separation like in most places.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 04:42 pm
If you want to protect him, you can.

You can put him in another room that has a door.

You can crate him.

If you're unwilling to do these things, you can protect him in the kitchen by making damn sure there's nothing within reach, or behind unlocked doors.

You can exercise him so much, he's too tired to get into trouble.

You can train him so well, he won't do it.

It's your responsibility to protect him from danger.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:10 pm
Re: My dog's too damn smart for his own good!
kitkat_bar wrote:
Ok...so my dog (who is an australian shepherd by the way) has not only figured out that he can open the cubbord containing the cat and dog food but he figured out that if he stood on his hind legs he could reach things in the sink and beyond. I came home the other night to find that he had gotten up on the counter and eaten two completely full bags of brand new fresh out of the bakery chocolate chip cookies. There had to be at least 50 cookies combined. Not to mention, he took out the cat food bag and ate the entire 4 lb bag. He waited to throw up till we came home so that we could see him throw up on the carpet...and his throw up was exactly what it looked like...cat food and chocolate chip cookies. Guess I have to be smarter than the dog next time.

WOW! That is close to the amount to kill a small dog. Your luck.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:25 pm
My border collie taught me chess.
0 Replies