Strategies in solving physics problems???????

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 03:02 pm
I am having a hard time setting up my physics problems. I am not necessarily having problems with the math itself, but I am having trouble with the strategies needed for solving the problems. I am having a hard time finding anyone who can help in developing this ability. I did not think I would enjoy physics this much, but now that I have had the opportunity to delve into the topic for the first time this semester of college I think I might be hooked. Maybe I just need more practice, but without experience in these strategies I am getting nothing but frustration out of this class. Thank you for your input.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 450 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Quincy

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 03:39 pm
Try to gain an understanding of the physics principles involved in the problem, and then apply the appropriate formulae, not the other way round. And of course practise and burning the midnight oil; no one immediately understands whats going on, but going through many problems and reading different textbooks helps.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 04:18 pm
Mechanical, electrical?

Mechanical: Make a picture, if you can, including force vectors.

Electrical: I hated electrical...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 04:18 pm
Read the problem slowly--and then read it again.

The professor is telling you what he wants you to do with the information that you already have.
0 Replies

UofMNorthman

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:33 pm
Thank you too everyone!!!!!
Thanks for the ideas and strategies. I really appreciate any help and ideas I can get.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 09:11 pm
It can also help to make a list of the data given in the problem, or relationships between items.
0 Replies