WHAT AM I BID . . .

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 12:57 pm
The Associated Press wrote:
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (July 9) - A mother has been charged with trying to sell her toddler son for $500 so she could buy a stash of the addictive painkiller OxyContin.

Brianna Marie Burns, 23, could get up to five years in prison if convicted.

Burns' grandmother contacted authorities after Burns allegedly offered to sell her the 2-year-old child. An undercover officer wired the grandmother and provided her with $500 for the exchange, according to police documents.

Burns was arrested Monday after receiving the money and signing custody of the child over to her grandmother. She was being held on $102,500 bond.

Child Protective Services has placed the child with another family member.

OxyContin is a prescription painkiller often given to cancer patients. If chewed, snorted or injected, it produces a quick and potentially lethal high. The drug has been linked to more than 100 deaths.

The sale of a child was a misdemeanor in West Virginia until 1994, one year after a Charleston woman was convicted of trying to sell her 1-month-old baby to undercover officers for $1,400 so she could buy a mobile home. That led the state to change the law, making the crime a felony.

The source for this is the news blurb currently on aol, so i'm afraid i can't link it for you. My question, however, is: could she not have gotten much more for this child when sold as an exotic food stuff?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 972 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:04 pm
Wow, there are some dumb people out there.

Only $500 for a 2 year old on the black market? Boy, did she leave money on the table.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:07 pm
No kiddin', Slap, no wonder them West By-God folks get such a bum rap as dumb hillbillies . . .
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:11 pm
$1400 for a mobile home?Is this a lot or not?
I read an article on this drug recently.Seems to be wiping out entire
hick-middle-of-nowhere towns.The journalist was embellishing no doubt but someone was pulling out their teeth one by one to get the pill prescribed from their dentist.
I´m with Hoo on this.$500 for a toddler is plain ol´ shitferbrains.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 01:12 pm
For $1400 you could get a mo-byle home which wouldn't pass code inspection in Albania . . . these folks is dumber'n dog **** . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 02:09 pm
What really arrested my attention in that AP story was the fact that up until 1994, the sale of a child was only a misdemeanor, not a felony, in W. Va. Huh? Sort'a like double-parking? No wonder these people have shirferbrains. Look at the environment they come from, where even their legislators don't think that selling an infant is any big deal.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 03:51 pm
Yikes!
0 Replies