Colossus no. 109 Cryptic

catgirl

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:12 pm
Hello everyone!
Can someone please confirm my answers for the following?
75a - Ban extremely expensive jewel
I have expel (ban) but what does jewel have to do with it??
69d - Queen that is on board for succession
I have series but not sure why except queen - ER
I would love to not only confirm my answers but know how I got there!
Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 800 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Tufdevil

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:45 am
Colossus
G'day Cat Girl

I don't do the Colossus, being a Pom, but I think I can help you with your queries.

Ban extremely expensive jewel I believe is, as you suggest, expel. When you see the word "extremely" it usually means that you are to use the extremes (beginning and end) of a word or words. So, in this case we have EXPensive jewEL.

The second one is more straightforward. When you see the words "on board" it usually means that you are putting something in a ship (SS = steamship). So here we have the SS on the outside and inside we have the Queen (ER) and that is (abbr IE) which gives us SERIES.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

julksy

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:00 pm
Tufdevil is correct Cat Girl.

Those are the answers I have as well
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:13 pm
Colossus 109 cryptic
Hi Tufdevil
I was interested in your explanations for the cryptic. Are the examples "extremely" and "on board" clues that you have picked up along the way or do you have a book or something with these helpful hints included.
Maybe you are just clever. I still struggle with the cryptics and often end up using my Franklin puzzle solver.
I did have the answers you have given but it was good to see them confirmed.
Regards Tuesday
0 Replies

catgirl

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:50 pm
Thanks for your help everyone. Every cryptic I do is getting a little bit easier. While sometimes only certain words will fit, it is still great to know the why and the how! Happy puzzling!
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 12:51 am
Re: Colossus 109 cryptic
tuesday wrote:
Hi Tufdevil
I was interested in your explanations for the cryptic. Are the examples "extremely" and "on board" clues that you have picked up along the way or do you have a book or something with these helpful hints included.
Maybe you are just clever. I still struggle with the cryptics and often end up using my Franklin puzzle solver.
I did have the answers you have given but it was good to see them confirmed.
Regards Tuesday

Hello Tuesday!

I noticed on the back of one of the Lovatts mags they are advertising a paperback of cryptics which includes a section on 'how to do cryptics'. Thought you might be interested!
0 Replies

julksy

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 05:47 am
I really don't know if I'd recommend that ' How To Do Cryptics' book. I bought it from the Lovatts website ages ago. To be honest you'd get alot more heads up by just looking at 'Cracking Christine's Code' bit in the back of the Big magazine.
It does guide you through the basics of how to look for clues and hints in a cryptic crossword but I was feeling very disappointed after the purchase.
Most of the handy sized' book leaves you on your own.
0 Replies

tuesday

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 05:59 am
Colossus 109 cryptic
Thanks Lezzles and Julsky for you input, now I have a dilemma might sit on it for a few days. Maybe this site is better than any book.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 12:29 am
I think you'll find that they start to fall into place with practice. Just try to keep your mind 'open' to other meanings (and shades of meanings), and remember either the first or last word is usually a 'straight' clue.
0 Replies