It's the little, sadistic things that make me happy!

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 09:45 am
Ah yes! My two dogs sit side by side in front of the big glass sliding door. One is the dignified yellow lab. He is alert, still as a stone. His companion and friend is the small, toto-like mini schnauz we call twinky.

Twinky is visibly shaking with excitement and she emits small high pitched squeals. SOMETHING IS OUTSIDE!!!!

I leave my comfortable spot here behind the keyboard to go see. Yes! Two fat squirrels are at the feeder. It is but the work of a moment to pull open the heavy door and release the beasts! Twinky goes out screaming in her excitement. She can almost fly as she leaps snowbanks and chases her squirrel to the nearby maples.

My money, as always is on camper the lab. This time the squirrel is so shaken by his pursuit that it abandons all attempts to climb any tree and just heads for the property line. I am shouting, urging camper to greatness. He veers off suddenly as he approaches the invisible fence boundary and the squirrel excapes to safety.

Repeat several times a day. Happy dogs. Have never caught a squirrel in their lives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 835 • Replies: 9
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 09:50 am
plantress
Plantress, glad to have another funny voyer and her dogs on A2K.

Squirels eating bird food are bad enough. One of my two dogs discovered he liked eating bird feed. Didn't know he was doing it until I found his bird seed turds.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 10:09 am
Catchy thread title, too.
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 10:19 am
blush blush. I really like this a2k place. All the postings are fun to read and usually funny. Gives me hope for a politically incorrect underground.

Yeah, my dogs get into the bird seed too. Although I rarely examine their poopie!

We have a ring necked pheasant that comes out from the thicket to eat at the feeder and he really makes camper the lab excited for the chase. Of course the pheasant can fly but, like wild turkeys, prefers not to. He will scuttle/waddle away til camper is right on his tailfeather, then give an offended squawk and fly back to the thicket which, again, is the edge of invisible fence territory!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 10:40 am
plantress
plantress wrote:
blush blush. I really like this a2k place. All the postings are fun to read and usually funny. Gives me hope for a politically incorrect underground.
Yeah, my dogs get into the bird seed too. Although I rarely examine their poopie!
We have a ring necked pheasant that comes out from the thicket to eat at the feeder and he really makes camper the lab excited for the chase. Of course the pheasant can fly but, like wild turkeys, prefers not to. He will scuttle/waddle away til camper is right on his tailfeather, then give an offended squawk and fly back to the thicket which, again, is the edge of invisible fence territory!

That pheasant is a yellow-bellied doggie tease.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:08 pm
Beautiful 'tail' you posted, Plantress!
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:41 pm
hey thanks! Twinky is in our bedroom right now sleeping on the backrest of the couch in there. She can see out the window and keep tabs on any "trespassers" read birds, squirrels, rabbits, passing cars, planes etc. that she may wish to bark at.

It's amazing how big that little dog feels when she is safely inside the house.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:47 pm
Invisible Ischmizible. A smart dog will learn how to sit just near the invisible fence until the batteries wear out by emitting that little buzz. When the buzz stops or weakens significantly, the dogs can just step across. Now if you had Jack Russells, they would leap over the invisible fence where you put the "training flags" > Jack Russells are like border collies, they learn to "figure it out"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 01:49 pm
Or if they're like Petey-pete-pete who lives next door to my parents, they'll just use brut force - shocks be damned.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 02:03 pm
Alas , there are breeds that just cannot be asked to stay inside a barrier that allows an unfettered view of the surrounding world. SOme dogs will just get out, Im afraid Ive got 2 really creepy smart ones who then taught the dumbass Lab to get out. We do have a small 3 or 4 acre paddock near the barn that is fenced with woven wire. The fence man asked whether wed ever keep dogs in there and my wife said yes, so he bent over and buried about 3 " of the fence so the dogs wouldnt tunnel beneath it. Ya gotta stay ahead of em all the time. Last week we had about 20 deer on the big field, Ernie (the catahoula) was just let outside to pee and he saw the deer. Ernie didnt come home for 2 hours. Course he never caught a deer he just likes to herd em up..
0 Replies