SERVICE WITH A SMILE !

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 05:02 pm
the BBC reports :

Quote:
Bus driver's oven delivery detour
A bus driver took passengers on a detour to deliver and unload a cooker and a chest of drawers for friends.
The items were loaded into the space reserved for prams on the Glasgow to Wishaw service run by Coakley buses.

Passenger Margaret Dymond, 28, said she was stunned and took pictures of the goods which were unloaded during a 10-minute detour in Motherwell.

Bus firm owner Eddie Coakley said the Polish bus driver had been given a warning and lost his bonus.

"It shouldn't have happened," Mr Coakley said.

"We brought in an interpreter who spoke to the Polish driver and explained that his behaviour was not acceptable."

The driver made the detour at about 1000 GMT on Monday.

Ms Dymond, a mother-of-four, from Viewpark, Lanarkshire, captured the scene on her mobile phone.

"There was a couple on the bus with a pushchair and a young child and they were having a job getting past," she said.

"That was bad enough but I was stunned when the driver took a right turn off the route and actually took them right to the door of the flat."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6457907.stm

british bus drivers know how to please their customers as we found out in 1979 .
we had taken the bus to windsor in the morning and had tickets for "albert hall" for the evening . in the late afternoon we were trying to find the right bus to get back into london and asked one of the drivers - i think it was a "green line" bus .
the driver told to get aboard . once underway i mentioned to him that we probably needed to change buses to get to albert hall . after a couple of minutes he said : "i really should be going right through to victoria station , but i don't think anyone minds a little detour " .
he wheeled the bus through the city and dropped us off right in front of albert hall - that was service with a smile !
hooray for british bus drivers !
hbg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 888 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 06:02 pm
Back in the '70's, the bus drivers in Pueblo, CO would detour three blocks to drop me at my doorstep (with two toddlers) if the weather was nasty.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 09:32 am
the bus drivers inour small town (pop 120,000) will often make extra stops to pick-up or drop-off passengers - but i don't think they do detours .
hbg
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 12:01 pm
Ah the good ole days when the bus drivers knew all their passengers. When I lived in Ireland I got the same bus every day to work and the driver & conductor knew us all by our first names. I was walking toward the bus as it was stopped at the depot near my home and it started off on its route. It was to take a full turn of a circle (a green area that was like a huge roundabout) and so I took off at full sprint to make it to the other side before the bus so I could catch it. It had to make two stops on the circle before reaching the other side. The driver put the pedal to the metal and zoomed around the circle, making it before me and whizzing right by me. I was furious. It was almost an hours wait for the next bus. Next he turned at the end of the road and came back. I smiled as he neared, knowing he was coming back for me, and he whizzed by me doing another round of the circle again. I was getting dizzy and ran to the next stop and put out my hand, well a finger really. He stopped and picked me up and the entire bus was pissing themselves laughing. I gave them all the one-finger salute but at least I got some exercise and a good laugh (after I could breathe again!)
0 Replies