new emphasis on latin mass and gregorian chant

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 05:41 pm
from the English version of the Corriere della Sera (Milan newspaper) -

http://www.corriere.it/english/articoli/2007/03_Marzo/14/papa_english.shtml

Very ex catholic that I am, I did like the latin mass, back in the old days, and still have some gregorian chant tapes somewhere in my collection of stuff. I might think the newly expressed effort to train new priests with the latin mass (etc.) to be regressive, but I'm mixed, in that I find it worth retaining to some extent.

I'd be interested to see what present day catholics feel about this.

I'll try not to comment on the rest of the article, as those aren't the issues of my interest/attention.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,640 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 06:17 am
I'm not a Catholic, but the first Mr. Noddy was an ostentatiously lapsed Catholic with a loudly devout Irish Catholic mother.

During the early years of that marriage, Pope John promoted use of the vernacular in the mass. When asked about the change, my m-i-l announced that she hated it. When the mass was in Latin she could think about anything that she wanted to think about. Now that the mass was in English she was forced to concentrate.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:47 am
As an older ex Catholic, I can remember growing up listening to the Latin version.

The music didn't seem to have the Latin flavor that Latin music does today however.

And listening to all that unitelligible talk made my little brain feel like a gelatinous mass.
0 Replies