Weird Happening on HDTV

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:33 pm
We have two LCD HDTVs. It is connected to a cable connection. I turned on the smaller one, and the picture was all chartreuse and blue, and there was a lot of pixelation.It was really strange.

I immediately thought that it might be the cable company, so I turned on the larger set. The picture was fine.

I then turned off the smaller TV, and restarted it. The picture is OK now.

Does anyone know why this happened? Is it an indication that something may be awry with the TV?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,169 • Replies: 6
No top replies

AziMythe

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 08:43 am
Loose plugs.

Or the circuit boards inside need a couple minutes to warm up (possibly loose contacts in the circuitry).

Or you forgot to pray correctly.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:30 am
AziMythe wrote:
Loose plugs.

Or the circuit boards inside need a couple minutes to warm up (possibly loose contacts in the circuitry).

Or you forgot to pray correctly.

I'll consider numbers 1 or 2. If keeping appliances in working order were correlated with prayer, I would be sitting here in the dark! Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 11:35 am
It could also be that you just happened to turn it on at the wrong second. The HDTV I have in my bedroom does almost the same thing if the signal level drops out ffor a second or two. Some times it comes right back, other times it takes a minute or two for the digital bits to resync themselves.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 11:45 am
Well, it hasn't happened since the time that I mentioned. So far, so good. You may be right, fishin'. Tampa Electric is notorious for its momentary shutdowns.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:10 pm
It's the decompression of the HD signal from the cable. Unfortunately, this same compression/decompression that is used over cable to give one an HD picture within the bandwidth available at this time (especially without optical connection directly into the home), there are various anomalies and that happens to be one of them. This combined with the interlacing shows up most on plasma TV's if one is too close to them. 1080p would solve the problem but we might all be six-feet-under by the time 1080p hi-def is broadcast and on cable, and it's likely to be compressed and decompressed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 04:47 am
LW- Thanks for the explanation. It has not happened again.
0 Replies