Help looking for DVD player

emandco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:03 pm
I am in need of a DVD player that has the capability to block unrated movies from being played. All I can come up with online is an Xbox 360..

Anybody have any suggestions??? Need ASAP!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 2
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:20 pm
I'm not sure if this will help but.....

Quote:
Wal-Mart and K-Mart will both begin selling DVD players within the next two months that automatically edit out offensive content. The DVD players, which are built by Thompson Inc. and sold by RCA, contain an editing technology developed by ClearPlay Inc. The DVD players will automatically skip offensive material, such as violence, profanity, and sexual content, and will mute out offensive language. This is a step up from other parental control systems that only edit out offensive language.

The editing can be set for one of 14 levels of offensiveness, but the DVD player will only include editing information on "over 600 DVD releases" (ClearPlay has a list of its edited movies). Apparently ClearPlay has to program the information into the unit in order for the player to know when to skip forward and when to cover the audio. New edits are released every week.

The movie studios are not happy about this, and many of the larger studios and directors have filed a lawsuit against ClearPlay claiming that the editing technology breaks copyright laws. ClearPlay replies to the claims by saying, "We think it's presumptive of the directors to want to follow movies into the home."

The DVD players will be available at Wal-Mart and K-Mart for around US$79.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:48 pm
This won't block the movies, but will filter out the kinds of things on a DVD that a parent might find objectionable.

http://www.familysafemedia.com/edited_movies_-_parental_contr.html

There is a nice clip of the player being demonstrated on the "Today" show.
0 Replies