WHAT THE HELL IS IT!

Montana

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:38 pm
eoe
my heart really goes out to you. I know how much work it is and I also know what it's like to go out there to check on your plants just to find them ruined. I lost a lot of my crop last year from a huge wind storm and what I found after the storm was truly heartbreaking. I forgot to tell you that I put a frankenstein halloween mask in my garden on the top of a 5ft peice of wood staked in the ground and I dangle 2 glow in the dark monster hands from strings connected to the same poll and I don't have anymore problems with the deer or other creatures. Just a thought. I'm sorry you're having such bad luck with your garden :-(
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:39 pm
I have only visited hornworms, in a Sacramento friend's garden, for a minute. Can't remember if they were on stem or leaves or tomatoes. Just remember yuckko.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:47 pm
Feeling better tonight. Seeing the eggplant bitten into just broke my heart but maybe it won't be so bad. I'll get a few tomatoes out of this years' garden but it doesn't look like much else. The squash isn't doing well at all. Maybe the bell peppers will kick off shortly. I remember last year that it took forever before they began to fruit.
You have to marvel at those before us who were completely dependent on farming. How did they manage?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:53 pm
My heart goes out to the farmers as well. Their jobs are not easy for sure.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 06:08 pm
Lost two more tomatoes today. Through the netting. The score so far? Critters have destroyed 6 unripe/semi-ripe tomatoes while I've managed to get 2 ripe ones off the vine.
I poured urine around the barrel this evening. It's an experiment. We'll see how it works.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 01:02 am
Sorry to hear that eoe :-( I'll be tuning in to hear about your experiment. Did you figure out yet if it's an animal or bug?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 07:29 am
How'd the urine experiment go?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 08:29 am
So far, so good.

I lost two hours of sleep last night worrying about this. Can you believe it?? And then had a dream where I had a huge vegetable garden and every single fruit had been half-eaten. Who needs this kind of torture?

I still don't know if it's squirrels or rabbits. This ain't no bugs, that we do know. My husband has seen a family of rabbits, two little bunnies sitting on the front lawn, and I've seen a big ol' rabbit in the back. It could be them but these squirrels are completely relentless. I haven't put food in the birdfeeder in a month because we haven't figured out a way around the squirrels getting to it. They take flying 15 ft. leaps from surrounding trees, sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't and fly of into the bushes but damned if they don't keep trying.

What's an amateur farmer to do?
0 Replies