Books you bought but didn't read or didn't finish?

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:10 pm
Books you bought but didn't read or finish
I really liked the Falco series; I'd forgotten all about them, though, until I read Tico's post. I though they were a neat balance between detection and history, not too heavy on either, and obviously well-researched. (As a former professional librarian, I particularly appreciate the serious research.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 02:26 pm
Tomkitten -- I sure did read Eats, Shoots and Leaves cover to cover. And it now sits on my shelf among all the other reference books. That is a marvelous book to both use and re-read from time to time. Love it, absolutely love it.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 04:36 pm
Glad to see others enjoyed "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"; I was beginning to wonder about my sense of humour! Seventeen years ago I bought myself "The One Year Bible"; I still haven't finished it... Embarrassed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:33 pm
I liked the Falco series too... guilty pleasure in that I'm interested in the layers of Rome and should have looked up old Rome plans and such to give me a sense of what he described relative to the bits of present day Rome I know. (I'm sort of the a2k opposite of Setanta, I retain a mere wisp of the information I read.)

I gave a lecture once on italian gardens (I'm an enthusiast as opposed to an expert) and there was a genuine expert there whom I chatted with afterwards. He was telling me of all these buried gardens...
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:18 pm
Tai Chi and Merry Andrew: Did either of you read "Woe is I"? It did for grammar what "Eats" does for punctuation.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:20 pm
(Shoot...now I have to worry about my punctuation AND my grammar...)

But seriously Tomkitten, who wrote "Woe is I"? I haven't heard of it. Is it recent?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:07 pm
I love Ulysses enough to keep a pristine copy in the book case, a ragged older one near my desk for the odd perusal when a notion overtakes me.

Satanic Verses, I think I read four or five pages.

Many of the books mentioned, I never even tried. Mailer became past tense for me when he wrote, Why Are We in Vietnam? (I think that was the title).

The book I've begun the most times without finishing is Don Quixote.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:12 pm
Quote:
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, Lynne Truss

The bestseller on punctuation discusses how the poor use of apostrophes in public writing can alter meaning, while also shedding light on other commonly misused punctuation, from commas and colons to dashes.

I really liked this book. It made me laugh. It made me laugh out loud at a table at MaryAnn's Mexican on the Upper West Side where I was waiting for the rest of the dinner group to arrive. I laughed so loudly that the woman at the next table asked me just what it was I was reading. I showed her the book, her dinner companion looked at it too, I went back to reading, they returned to eating. I finished it before ordering a second margarita, (the others were very late)

They did arrive and we had a fun dinner. As the couple at the next table rose to go, the woman turned to me and said "I'm going to look for that book." "No, " I said, "I just finished it, please, take this copy." And she did.

Which is why there are several errors in the above paragraph as to the position and frequency of commas.

Joe(I read it, but I didn't learn it.")Nation
0 Replies

cello

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 09:25 pm
Well, I tried to read Shakespeare a few years ago for the first time in my life. I read Romeo & Juliet, since I have seen the movie. Stopped at page 3, I think, or was it at 2 1/2? Embarrassed
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 03:03 am
I have steve Hawkings book and home, and yes, it's still unfinished.
For some reason I started, was really interested, and then never continued.
Now I'll have to start from the beginning at some point.

Ulyssis is the second one.
I started that at least three times, but the problem there is that I really have not found anything interesting in the first 20 or 30 pages, and therefore keep putting off, continuing.
However, one day I will finish it and find out, why it used to be banned in the US!
That is my only motivation!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:26 am
Bohne
Bohne wrote:
I have steve Hawkings book and home, and yes, it's still unfinished.
For some reason I started, was really interested, and then never continued.
Now I'll have to start from the beginning at some point.

Ulyssis is the second one.
I started that at least three times, but the problem there is that I really have not found anything interesting in the first 20 or 30 pages, and therefore keep putting off, continuing.
However, one day I will finish it and find out, why it used to be banned in the US!
That is my only motivation!

I pulled the last of Hawking's books from the shelf yesterday. While reading non-fiction, I often highlight paragraphs I find important and/or interesting that I want to remember. I thumbed through the book and found many highlighted pages, especially re the String Theory. To me, Hawking's book was a page turner.

BBB
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:31 am
Tai Chi: The author of "Woe is I'" is Patricia T. O'Conner. And no, it's not recent - maybe 7 or 8 years ago, maybe a bit more.

Another by Lynn Truss (got mixed reviews, but I loved it) is "Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of Everyday Life or Six Good Rreasons to Stay at Home".

Enjoy!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 03:16 pm
Out of all of Jogn Grisham's best-sellers that I've tried to read, the only one I was ever able to finish was "Street Lawyer," which I don't think ever was a best-seller. Generally, he bores me. He may concoct good and interesting plots but he's a terrible writer.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 05:53 pm
Thanks Tomkitten. I'll add it to my ever-growing list of books to look for. (Oops! I mean "for which to look".)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 06:00 pm
Oh, but that brings up the whole thing about best seller thrillers/procedurals for law or detection... most of those books on the best seller lists drive me nuts, they are pulsed for sensational stuff every x pages - or many of them are; they're formulaic just as many screenplays are. That plus the generally weak writing means I don't buy those in the first place. This is not that I don't like police procedurals, etc., but I've learned to avoid titles with, say, PREY, in them, prey, or its equivalent, at my grocery store.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 10:47 am
BumbleBee - didn't string theory get a bad rap recently?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 10:49 am
Mathturbation.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:13 pm
I could not read War and Peace. Kept bumping up against the defeated Austrian general who said, "You see before you the unfortunate Mack," and could not go any further.

I think that American big name writer from the South is unreadable. "Absolom, Absolom" et al.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:28 pm
Re: Books you bought but didn't read or finish
Tomkitten wrote:

Yep, it appears to be coming unraveled.

BBB
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:24 am
Re: Books you bought but didn't read or finish
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Tomkitten wrote:

Yep, it appears to be coming unraveled.

BBB

Ba-da-dah-ching!
0 Replies