Books you bought but didn't read or didn't finish?

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:25 am
Unfinished masterpieces: Beckham joins Joyce on list of books we never complete
By Louise Jury
Independent UK Arts Correspondent
Published: 12 March 2007

For years, A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking was said to be the book that everyone owned but few had read.

But a new survey shows that Hawking has been supplanted by David Blunkett and Bill Clinton as the authors of the books Brits are most likely to own but are unable to finish.

The political memoirs of the former Home Secretary and the ex-American president respectively top the non-fiction poll of unfinishable reads in a new survey published today by Teletext.

David Beckham lies in third place with his autobiography, My Side, demonstrating that it is not only politicians who are eminently put downable.

In the fiction stakes, Vernon God Little, DBC Pierre's Man Booker Prize-winning story of an American teenager wrongly accused of a high school massacre, tops the books readers had failed to complete. More than a third of those who bought or borrowed the novel were defeated by it.

But he was in good company both in terms of sales and critical acclaim. JK Rowling's fourth tale of wizardry, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, took second place with Ulysses, James Joyce's legendarily tricky day in the life of Leopold Bloom in third.

Kevin Killeen, a University of Leeds academic who analysed the results, said he was somewhat surprised that Vernon God Little had beaten titles ranging from Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses to Tolstoy's War and Peace to top the poll.

But he was heartened by the lists overall. "They show some quite ambitious reading. I take heart from the nature of the books on the list," he said.

Other titles to have confounded would-be readers included hefty tomes such as The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and Wild Swans by Jung Chang.

But there are also books that are not normally regarded as a challenge such as Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Berniére's word-of-mouth bestseller.

Four out of 10 of the 4,000 people polled said they could not concentrate on long titles and less than a quarter found time to read every day.

Feeling tired and watching television instead were the main reasons for not finding time to read, with a fifth of people claiming it was because they worked late.

Londoners were the most likely to be too tired to read for pleasure (57 per cent) while those in the North-east are the most likely to be watching TV instead (49 per cent). Scots proved the most likely to read to the end, with 62 per cent saying they have never given up on a book they had started.

Dr Killeen said: "The research illustrates that the pressure of finding time for reading is the main factor when it comes to discarding a book unfinished."

One of the books that failed to make the top tens but came up often in discussion was the Bible. "I look at the history of reading and I think the Bible presents an interesting case study of how people have read [in the past]. It invites discontinuous reading," he said.

Any non-fiction title with an index invited a similar approach. It is not necessary to go from beginning to end to get something out of it.

In its bid to offer help to the over-taxed reader and promote its chunk-size information service, Teletext is offering one paragraph distillations of the top five fiction and non-fiction titles which Britons cannot finish, see panel on the right.

In case you didn't finish them ...

TOP FIVE UNREAD (FICTION)

Vernon God Little, DBC Pierre

Texas small-town schoolboy Vernon is wrongly accused of being an accessory to his best friend's murder-spree. After going on the run to Mexico, he is captured. Read on to learn how, while languishing in jail, he is subjected to a bizarre Big Brother phone vote for his execution.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling

Romance and teenage hormones sweep through Hogwarts in the fourth instalment, in which the Tri-wizard Tournament is used as a ploy by Lord Voldemort to capture Harry. The young wizard goes one-on-one with a dragon, fights a school of underwater mer-creatures and battles a malevolent maze. Only persistent readers will discover how Harry eventually evades Voldemort's evil clutches.

Ulysses, James Joyce

Ulysses traces the wonderings and thoughts of Leopold Bloom and Stephen Dedalus through a single ordinary day - 16 June 1904 - in Dublin. Readers who make it to the end will find that the final chapter is written from the viewpoint of Leopold's adulterous wife Molly and contains only eight sentences.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis De Bernieres

Second World War drama set on a Greek Island. Life is peaceful for Dr Iannis and his daughter Pelagia until the Italian invasion, led by the cultured Captain Corelli. It is not long until Pelagia rejects her Greek fiancé and falls in love with the Italian captain. However, Corelli finally decides not to pursue his love. Read to the end however and discover that they meet again decades later.

Cloud Atlas, David Mitchell

the book consists of six inter-linked stories taking the reader from the remote South Pacific in the 19th century to the futuristic aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse. The stories focus on characters including a 17th-century American lawyer, a 1930s British composer, 1970s nuclear scientist in Reagan's California, and a 1980s London vanity publisher, and has, at its centre, two science fiction stories that forecast the death of the human race.

TOP FIVE UNREAD (NON-FICTION)

* The Blunkett Tapes, David Blunkett

Taken from taped diaries recorded by the former cabinet minister, this lengthy autobiography provides a background to Blunkett's early career and how he overcame the difficulties caused by his blindness. For the most part, it concentrates on New Labour's rise to power and the nine years that followed and while it is particularly detailed on the day-day running of Government, it lacks personal insight to the scandals that led to Blunkett resigning not once but twice.

My Life, Bill Clinton

Autobiography of the popular former US President, which opens with recollections of the death of his father, a difficult home life, his time at Oxford and experiences as a Vietnam war protester. It continues on to cover his political rise, firstly as a young Arkansas politician and leading up to his run for Congress and eventual Presidency. Many will skip that bit to get to his affair with Monica Lewinsky - the investigations into which served to stall Clinton's government. * My Side, David Beckham

Beckham's story tackles in great detail his childhood and career with Manchester United, England and his move to Real Madrid. However, it makes scant reference to the former England captain's alleged affairs.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, Lynne Truss

The bestseller on punctuation discusses how the poor use of apostrophes in public writing can alter meaning, while also shedding light on other commonly misused punctuation, from commas and colons to dashes.

Wild Swans, Jung Chang

Wild Swans tells the story of three "daughters of China", the author, her mother and grandmother and their struggle and survival against Communism. The author's mother was forced to march 1000 miles while pregnant and the author herself tells of the horrifying and violent rise of Chairman Mao and the Cultural Revolution.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,277 • Replies: 39
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:41 am
"Satanic Verses" is a page-turner! What are they on about? "God of Small Things," too.

"Life of Pi" seems to be on this list for me. It's been mocking me on my "to read" shelf for quite a while now. I've tried to get back into it about 6 times, I think I'm just going to transfer it out without bothering -- I can't imagine that a book that fails to grab me after that many tries will redeem itself.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:46 am
I tried, I really tried to make it through Satanic Verses, but I kept finding excuses not to pick up the book.

I believe I tried (and finished) another book by Rushdie, so I suppose it's him I don't care for.

Oh, and that Dave Eggers book everyone was going on about? Really got bored with that one too.

just looked it up...a Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius....not.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:48 am
I'll agree with you on Eggers, Chai. I couldn't get through that thing either.

Much ado about nothing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:50 am
I think you might have to be within say five years of his age to like it, because of all the references and just everything. (He's the same age as I am.)

I was prepared to hate it -- I mean, the title! -- and was totally blown away.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:58 am
Exactly. I was getting a "been there, done that, now get over it bub" message from my brain while reading it.

Life's tough Dave.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:03 am
Well of course. It's the language though, the references (as in pop-cultural references, that's what I meant by age -- he was watching the same TV shows when he was 9 that I was watching when I was 9, he was listening to the same music when he was 12 that I was listening to when I was 12, etc.), the WAY he tells the story rather than the story per se that I thought was fabulous. A virtuoso performance, can he do it? Wow he's actually doing it.

Anyway, not seeking to change anyone's mind, just clarifying my own opinion.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:07 am
Well, you're wrong, soz.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:09 am
I have never gotten throgh the entire Bible, both OT and NT

Haven't finished the Koran yet either.

Or the Book of Mormon.

The Book of the Law?....ditto.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:10 am
I never could finish Satanic Verses either. Don't think I got even half-way through. John Updike's Terrorist was recommended by dlowan, so I bought it. So far, I've read about three, I think, chapters and have scant interest in reading any more.

I did read Joyce's Ulysses cover to cover once upon a time in my callow youth. Can't remember why, now. Can't say the same for Finnegan's Wake. That one stymies me totally and in its entirety as well as completely and, in fact, when the twins come home, it's time to...uh...I better stop now.

Has anyone ever read anything by Gertrude Stein? I mean besides "a rose is a rose is a rose"?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:17 am
I am actually in the process right now of attempting, one more time, to read The Novels of Herman Hesse -- A Study in Theme and Structure, by Theodore Ziolkowski.

I have started reading that damn book too many times to remember and have never made it cover to cover.

I've probably read all of it at one time or another, but never straight through.

Anyone else try this book?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 11:29 am
Thirty years ago, I bought a three volume version of Tolstoy's "War and Peace". I am half-way through volume 2.

Actually I am more interested in the monetary value of my 3 volume set. It is an English translation that was printed by Oxford University Press in 1929. I bought this at a used book sale for fifty cents a volume. I saw that Alibris was selling this set at $10 - $15.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 05:52 pm
BBB
My stack of books to be read keeps growing.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/ena0118l.jpg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:10 pm
Norman Mailer's Ancient Evenings
I really tried to read Norman Mailer's Ancient Evenings, but just gave up.
Did anyone read the entire book?

BBB
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:49 pm
I never finished "Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton", nor Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason".

Edit to Add: Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:06 pm
I didn't get past the first page of the Sound and the Fury, more than once.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:10 am
Re: Norman Mailer's Ancient Evenings
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I really tried to read Norman Mailer's Ancient Evenings, but just gave up.
Did anyone read the entire book?

BBB

After reading some of the reviews, I never even tried.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:41 am
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" by Louis De Berniere, I thought I'd enjoy his "Troublesome offspring of Cardinal Guzman". I managed about ten pages before putting the book back on the shelf to collect dust.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 01:35 pm
Books you bought but didn't read or finish
Oh dear - I did so enjoy Lynn Truss's "East, Shoots, and Leaves", and am sorry that not everybody got sufficiently caught up in it to finish.

As for "Corelli's Mandolin" - well, I'm on the other side there: I simply couldn't get into it. And (shame on me, with a Master's in English Lit) I could not get through "Ulysses". The big 19th century Russian novelists defeat me too.

I find that I am reading less and less fiction lately, though I'm unable to put down "Wild Fire" by Nelson DeMille; this is the first of his books that I've read, and while it's a real potboiler, it's also a real page-turner.

I'm on the Book Selection committee for our in-house library, and one of my responsibilities is writing two- or three-line reviews of our new purchases. When I first got involved in this I grabbed as many novels as I could lay my hands on; now I snatch the political, economic, and history titles. Strange change!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 01:56 pm
Very interesting what people do and don't like to read.

I love all of de Bérnieres' novels, especially those fantastic (in the original sense of the word) latin ones, and the Eggars book. Thought Satanic Verses was brilliant, even though I was prepared to dislike it after all the hype and controversy.

And [putting hand up] I did read the entire Ancient Evenings, but so long ago that I don't really remember it except that I didn't dislike it.

But on my bookshelf, guiltily unfinished are:

Thou Art That by Joseph Campbell
The Great Code by Northrop Frye
Hunger's Brides by Paul Anderson -- such an erudite and heavy tome that I paid so much money for, although that shouldn't be a reason to read or not, but that thought keeps popping up whenever I notice it sitting there ...

But I like the way those three books look juxtaposed against the Falco detective series by Lindsey Davies. :wink:

And I could never get into that stream-of-consciousness stuff that Joyce wrote. Whenever I try, I keep thinking, "James, James, James ... there's a reason why punctuation was invented."
0 Replies