Sound waves and resonant frequency

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 07:06 pm
Sure makes sense! There are a number of analog and digital guitar effects I own that can be make to self-oscillate and produce wild effects. I know we are getting into electronics and away from acoustics but some of the principles still apply.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 07:11 pm
Think of a car with worn shocks....
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 08:12 pm
How can I modify sound waves to impact segmented objects, since segmented objects don't resonante well?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:42 am
All you need is the influence of a good dinner and you're golden!
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 01:53 am
Did you know sound waves can move objects? I just saw this video on youtube about an acoustic levitation chamber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94KzmB2bI7s&mode=related&search=
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 11:12 pm
And vice versa -- that's how audio speakers and microphones work.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 01:40 pm
Is there such a thing as sonic radiation?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:01 pm
reply to chumly
Chumly wrote:
JGoldman10 is asking about mechanical resonances, not the RLC circuits you refer to. In actuality though, I am not sure precisely what he wants to know, and I don't think he does either, what the hell, it adds to the fun!

Can sound waves be used to bend metal?

Let's say you want to impact an object, like a bunch of pipes and connectors. How would you modify the sound waves so that both the pipes and connectors would be impacted?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 07:18 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:

Yes and no. Sound propogates through a uniform medium in wave forms, much as do visible light and other forms of radiation. However, unlike electromagnetic radiation of any frequency, sound requires the presence of a physical medium through which it can pass. Thus sound cannot propogate through a vacuum or empty space as do other forms of radiation.

Sound can cause metal to vibrate as a result of the action of the pressure waves in the air acting on the metal. Depending on the shape and construction of the metal object and the duration and intensity of the sound, a fatigue failure could be induced in the metal. However, I am not aware of any general technique for forming metal objects using sound.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:08 am
reply to georgebob
georgeob1 wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:

Yes and no. Sound propogates through a uniform medium in wave forms, much as do visible light and other forms of radiation. However, unlike electromagnetic radiation of any frequency, sound requires the presence of a physical medium through which it can pass. Thus sound cannot propogate through a vacuum or empty space as do other forms of radiation.

Sound can cause metal to vibrate as a result of the action of the pressure waves in the air acting on the metal. Depending on the shape and construction of the metal object and the duration and intensity of the sound, a fatigue failure could be induced in the metal. However, I am not aware of any general technique for forming metal objects using sound.

Hello georgebob. I know ultrasound is used to break things up.
0 Replies