New camcorders? Panasonic GS320?

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:20 am
It's finally time to upgrade my camcorder, and there's just too much to choose from (considering everything is pretty much an upgrade from what I have). Of course there doesn't seem to be that *perfect* combination of features, but I was hoping someone might have some input to sway my decision one way or the other.

I'm looking for a camcorder that records to MiniDV; harddrive would be awesome, but I don't want video in MPEG2, seeing as I will be editing it.

And of course price plays a factor...I'd rather not shell out a fortune on a camera that will be obselete within a short time period, so the $1000 range is definitely my max.

Sony seems to have quite a line out of new HD camcorders....but right now I'm leaning more towards Panasonic's GS320.

As far as I can tell, having the 3 CCDs really improves video quality, especially in lowerlighting situations. Plus, it is relatively inexpensive, being right under $500.

Seems like the reviews on the unit are quite good, some complaints about no mic input...

I figured I'd go with a nicer SD camera than HD, until the technology settles a little bit. SD would be easier to edit anyways, seeing as my computer isn't the greatest, and neither is my software at the moment. Eventually I want to build up my gear so I can handle that stuff...but I'm taking it slow.

Will I be missing out by avoiding the new HD stuff? Any other nice SD miniDV cameras that I'm overlooking? Better yet, has any one used the GS320?

I don't know, just figured I'd throw this out here, see what other people have found that works well for them. I'm trying to do some decent research, since I'm going to purchase a camcorder fairly quickly, and don't want my decision to be *too* rash.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 863 • Replies: 2
No top replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 05:49 am
Hi Sneaky. I have no idea and haven't even looked at camcorders for some time now. Just bumping this up for you so someone will see it that knows about camcorders.
0 Replies

SneakyBeaky

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 08:30 pm
Well, my new camcorder FINALLY came yesterday! Unfortunately this proud new owner of a panasonic GS320 hasn't been home to really give this machine a good testing, but, I'm completely satisfied with my choice so far!

The 3CCDs make a HUGE difference in low-light situations, at least in comparison to my inexpensive, yet beloved Aiptek digital camcorder. Areas which show up as black on the Aiptek look normal on the Panasonic, which is amazing.

Plus, for only $500, I got a few telephoto lenses, lens filters, a sweet tripod, a sleek SD card reader, a 1 gig SD card, among other things. Definitely a deal.

So maybe if anyone else is in the market for a camcorder, I'll write more later on quality of the GS320, but as of right now, I'm just ecstatic about my purchase and wanted to (sort of) wrap up my thread.
0 Replies